Braille Institute of America, Inc.
02/02/2018Return to view all job openings
Braille Institute of America, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to eliminate blindness and severe sight loss as a barrier to the fulfillment of life. Through educational training, programs and services, Braille Institute helps people regain and maintain their independence through five regional centers (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Orange County, Rancho Mirage, and San Diego) and through more than 135 community outreach programs.
We currently are seeking a Director of Low Vision Services at our Los Angeles Center. This position is responsible for:
- Serving as the Program Lead for low vision services throughout the organization;
- Working closely with the Vice President/Program Delivery and Executive Directors of five centers;
- Establishing and reinforcing program guidelines including content, quality and efficiency of low vision consultations;
- Developing a strategy to build and maintain a referral base of eye care professionals;
- Providing staff training; and, overseeing program related data management and record keeping;
- Performing screening/assessment of low vision clients, analyzing results and, making specific device and/or environmental recommendations;
- Establishing collaborative and productive working relationships throughout the organization and work with Philanthropy to support related fundraising efforts.
- Experienced occupational therapist, certified in low vision;
- Minimum of five (5) years low vision program and management experience;
- Current Occupation Therapist license (preferably California state) plus low vision certification (ACTA American Occupational Therapy Assn) or CLVT-Certified Low Vision Therapist (ACVREP-Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals);
- Thorough knowledge of visual system, eye conditions, impact of various eye diseases;
- Familiarity with related community and professional resources;
- Current understanding of mainstream and assistive technology devices;
- Experience with marketing and fundraising for low vision programs desired;
- Must have current valid driver's license and access to own transportation.
Braille Institute is an equal opportunity employer (EEOC). We offer an excellent environment and a comprehensive benefits package. Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter.