Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
08/10/2023Return to view all job openings
This position is responsible for providing Orientation and Mobility instruction to blind and visually impaired customers in addition to evaluating and teaching independent travel within the customers’ homes, workplaces, and communities. The employee in this position is responsible for planning and teaching adaptive travel techniques to children and adults in an individual and/or group setting.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
The Orientation and Mobility Specialist promotes optimal personal and social adjustment to blindness, leading to self-sufficiency and independent living and contributing to the customer's rehabilitation process through instruction and consultation.
You will assess customers referred for Orientation and Mobility by collecting and reviewing reports/information, conferring with staff, interviewing customers, observing current level of functioning to develop an individualized plan of instruction and/or make referral for appropriate services.
Additional details regarding the duties of this position may be found in the position description.
Work Schedule and Additional Information:
- Full-time employment.
- 7.5 Hour Workday - Work hour options are flexible but will be set between 7:00am and 5:00pm, Monday-Friday, with a 30-minute lunch.
- Telework: You will have the opportunity to work from home (telework) part time. In order to telework, you must have a securely configured high-speed internet connection. If you are unable to telework, you will have the option to report to the headquarters office in Altoona.
- Salary: Most employees will start at the beginning level of the advertised salary.
- You will receive further communication regarding this position via email. Check your email, including spam/junk folders, for these notices.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, TRAINING & ELIGIBILITY
Minimum Experience and Training Requirements:
- Successful completion of the commonwealth’s Orientation and Mobility Intern program; or
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree or certificate from an approved college or university program in orientation and mobility that includes a practicum; or
- Possession of an active Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist certificate issued by the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation and Education Professionals (ACVREP).
- This position falls under the provisions of the Child Protective Services Law.
- Under the Law, a conditional offer of employment will require submission and approval of satisfactory criminal history reports including, but not limited to, PA State Police clearance, PA Child Abuse history clearance, and FBI Fingerprint clearance.
How to Apply:
- Resumes, cover letters, and similar documents will not be reviewed, and the information contained therein will not be considered for the purposes of determining your eligibility for the position. Information to support your eligibility for the position must be provided on the application (i.e., relevant, detailed experience/education).
- If you are claiming education in your answers to the supplemental application questions, you must attach a copy of your college transcripts for your claim to be accepted toward meeting the minimum requirements. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- Your application must be submitted by the posting closing date. Late applications and other required materials will not be accepted.
- Failure to comply with the above application requirements will eliminate you from consideration for this position.
Telecommunications Relay Service (TRS):
- 711 (hearing and speech disabilities or other individuals).
If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodations due to a disability, please discuss your request for accommodations with the interviewer in advance of your interview date.
The Commonwealth is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to a diverse workforce. The Commonwealth values inclusion as we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most qualified people to serve the citizens of Pennsylvania. The Commonwealth does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, ancestry, union membership, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, AIDS or HIV status, disability, or any other categories protected by applicable federal or state law. All diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Completing the application, including all supplemental questions, serves as your exam for this position. No additional exam is required at a test center (also referred to as a written exam).
- Your score is based on the detailed information you provide on your application and in response to the supplemental questions.
- Your score is valid for this specific posting only.
- You must provide complete and accurate information or:
- your score may be lower than deserved.
- you may be disqualified.
- You may only apply/test once for this posting.
- Your results will be provided via email.
Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/pabureau/jobs/4145725/orientation-and-mobility-specialist