05/10/2023Return to view all job openings
As part of its mission, Alphapointe provides preferential hiring to people with vision impairments (legally blind).
Alphapointe is a non-profit agency whose mission is to empower people with vision loss to achieve their goals and aspirations. Alphapointe offers a great working environment that's both challenging and satisfying as well as an array of benefits including medical, dental, vision and life insurance, short and long term disability, vacation and sick time, paid holidays and flexible spending options as well as a generous 401(k).
Job Summary: Evaluate and train consumers in the use of adaptive technology and the use of electronic equipment, such as computers and note-taking devices.
- Design and implement training components for the program. This includes, but is not limited to, evaluation and training for CRS consumers; training for telemarketing, customer service, and switchboard operations; in-house training with employees for vocational purposes; in-house training with employees for personal uses; rehabilitation engineering under contract with Missouri Rehabilitation Services for the Blind; and certifications, installations, and training for Missouri Assistive Technology Project TAP-I.
- Prepare appropriate documentation for the program including evaluation and rehabilitation plans; evaluation, training, and final reports; other essential consumer documentation in compliance with accreditation and contractual obligations; and billing for the program.
- Maintain consumer files and ensure that all documentation is up to date.
- Assist with security and proper use of equipment in AT offices and labs.
- Stay abreast of new technology and communicate that information to rehabilitation staff and clients.
- Work with the rehabilitation team to coordinate and guide consumers toward achievement of their goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science degree preferred or a degree or certification in a disability related field with links to assistive technology (e.g. Assistive Technology Practitioner certification, special or regular educator, occupational therapist, physical therapist, speech-language pathologist, rehabilitation engineer).
- Must demonstrate expertise in at least two assistive technology categories based on certification, educational training and experience.
- Minimum of two years’ experience installing and using adaptive technology required.
- Ability to create and implement lesson plans required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Continuing education requirements for AT Instructors are required to attend state, regional and/or national assistive technology workshops conferences. AT Instructors must develop and follow a professional development plan to maintain their skills and to maintain licensure or certification in their field. A minimum of 20 assistive technology training hours will be needed annually and documented.
Alphapointe is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran