08/12/2023Return to view all job openings
Orientation & Mobility Specialist
Job Title: Orientation & Mobility Specialist
Department: Vision Rehabilitation Program
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Vision Rehabilitation Program
Status: Full-time Exempt
Salary Range: $62,000 - $75,000
Orientation & Mobility Job Summary:
The Orientation & Mobility (O&M) Specialist plays a crucial role at SDCB. As an O&M Specialist, you will be responsible for empowering adults with vision loss to navigate and explore the world around them as safely and independently as possible. You will work closely with clients, developing personalized training programs to enhance their mobility skills, orientation, and overall quality of life to the best of their abilities. Additionally, you will collaborate with a team of dedicated professionals to contribute to the ongoing and holistic growth and success of our clients and organization.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Comprehensively assess the client’s specific O&M abilities, needs, and goals through interviews, ongoing observations, medical records review, and consultations with other professionals.
2. Develop a customized training program for clients based on assessment results and client goals; recommend mobility devices or other aids and issue appropriate cane(s) as needed.
3. Deliver one-on-one instruction to clients, focusing on progressing towards the individual’s goals through on-site or off-site instruction, as well as determining when to terminate or extend training, as applicable.
4. Collaborate with clients to discuss progress, address concerns, and modify training plans as needed.
5. Collaborate with Multidisciplinary Team to ensure best support for clients.
6. Participate in team meetings, case conferences, and professional development activities to enhance knowledge and skills.
7. Document all client assessments, progress reports, outcomes achieved, and training plans accurately and in a timely manner.
8. Provide general safety information or community resource information for individual clients or clients in group classes, as needed.
9. Stay updated on the latest research, techniques, and technologies related to O&M via professional conferences, workshops, trainings, etc. Share knowledge and insights with colleagues and contribute to the organization's continuous improvement efforts.
10. Participate in municipal/government boards and community groups to advocate for people with visual impairments.
11. Provide in-service training(s) for various organizations.
· Master's degree in Orientation & Mobility from an accredited college or university.
· Certification as an Orientation & Mobility Specialist (COMS) by ACVREP or in the process of completing this certification
· Solid understanding of visual impairments, including common eye conditions, their impact on mobility, and strategies for independent living.
· Excellent communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills to effectively engage with clients, families, and interdisciplinary teams.
· Strong organizational skills with the ability to maintain accurate documentation and manage multiple cases simultaneously.
· Occasional transport of clients for lessons in a vehicle provided by the instructor with appropriate, valid, insurance; mileage will be reimbursed monthly.
· Help with special events, as needed.
· Know all emergency procedures and adhere to the Illness and Injury Prevention Program.
· Other duties as assigned.
Note: This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the Orientation & Mobility Specialist role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, duties, and responsibilities. Other tasks and duties may be assigned as required by the organization.
As an EOE/AA employer, SDCB will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. SDCB values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.
Send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject: Orientation & Mobility Instructor Position-SDCB