04/27/2023Return to view all job openings
Job Title: Orientation and Mobility Specialist
Department: Client Services
Immediate Supervisor: Director of Client Services
Status: Full-time exempt
Job Summary: Provide an individualized instructional program to adults (ages 18 to 90+) with congenital or adventitious vision loss, and possibly other concurrent health conditions, in all areas of orientation and mobility, as described in the O&M curriculum.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
1. On an individual basis, evaluate each client’s O&M needs and abilities using specific and attainable goals with measurable outcomes.
2. Determine goals and outcomes by coordinating with the client, the program manager, the on-site psychologists and rehabilitation instructors, as well as other agencies when appropriate.
3. According to needs, teach client specific areas of O&M to include pre-cane skills, appropriate cane techniques, street crossings, residential and business travel, etc.
4. Instructor is required to teach as many as five periods a day during program days. Position includes three days of Center-based training in the city of San Diego, two days of itinerant instruction.
5. Ensure that that all client assessments, progress notes, and reporting meet external standards by funders (contractual compliance, deliverables are achieved timely, and reports are completed and submitted in a timely manner).
6. Resolve client safety problems on university campuses and on city streets by meeting with the university staff or city disability departments to request APS signals or other appropriate accommodations.
7. Instructor is responsible for determining termination of service with reasons recorded or need for additional hours or time extension.
8. Instructor is responsible for maintaining a file on each client to include initial interview, authorization of hours, daily progress notes, monthly progress reports, final evaluation, and other pertinent information.
9. Instructor is responsible for issuing the appropriate cane and documenting removal from cane inventory. In addition, the instructor will assist in ordering and maintaining the cane inventory.
10. Perform low vision evaluations for sunshields, monoculars, and lighting. Learn how to operate, demonstrate, and teach GPS devices and other O&M related assistive technology.
11. Instructor will be required to transport students for lessons in vehicle provided by instructor with appropriate insurance. Mileage will be reimbursed.
12. Provide in-service training for San Diego County public transportation drivers and other organizations.
13. Participate in municipal/government boards and groups to advocate for services to our clients.
1. Expand skills and knowledge through in-services offered at the Center and in the community. Attend conferences and earn continuing education credits to maintain ACVREP certification.
2. Attend all required staff meetings and committee assignments.
3. Provide assistance for special events as needed.
4. Know all emergency procedures and adhere to the Illness and Injury Prevention Program.
5. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The employee may be asked to work over or under-time and will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other duties required by their supervisor.
1. Master’s Degree specializing in Orientation and Mobility from an accredited college or university and the ACVREP certification (COMS) preferred.
2. Excellent oral/written communication skills with both individuals and groups.
3. Preferred: Bilingual English/Spanish
As an EOE/AA employer, SDCB will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, or protected Veteran status. SDCB values diversity and inclusion and welcomes diverse candidates to apply.