04/26/2023Return to view all job openings
Essential Functions and Objectives:
- Collaborates with and supports the needs of students, staff, and families by fostering an understanding of vision loss; provides a continuum of evidence-based intervention strategies and services to improve compensatory strategies for increased achievement.
- Teaches and instructs academic content areas, adapted technology, and daily living skills; develops and executes individualized lesson plans in all subject areas, providing for direct instruction while maintaining a focus on District standards and benchmarks.
- Procures and provides adapted materials and equipment, including Braille and Technology for the blind and visually impaired students as needed.
- Conducts academic and functional vision evaluations and teaches strategies for improved use of vision.
- Attends the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) meetings of students receiving vision services and participates as a collaborative member of the IEP staffing team.
- Provides classroom teacher support.
- Provides instruction in Orientation and Mobility in school and/or community environments.
- Counsels students to encourage and support student achievement.
- Monitors, supervises, and enforces rule of conduct and behavior of assigned students; reinforces positive student behaviors in accordance with school and District policy.
- Observes, evaluates, reports, and records student performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
Knowledge, Experience & Other Qualifications:
- Experience working with visually impaired students ranging in academic ability from gifted to profoundly disabled.
- Experience with severe/profound blind students.
- Experience working with young special needs children which represent the diversity. of the Denver Public Schools community preferred.
- Current Colorado Department of Education Teachers License with an endorsement in Special Education Specialist Visually Impaired or Special Education Profound Needs OR qualify for Alternative License and passing score on the PLACE or Praxis II; Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver's license, appropriate insurance, and an acceptable driving record for the past three years.
- Proficiency with Google Suite.
- Effective time management, critical thinking, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Effectively handles multiple demands and competing deadlines.
- The ability to take responsibility for one’s own performance.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of multi-disciplinary team.
- Aptitude for variety and changing expectations in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of individualized teaching techniques, differentiated instruction, and the ability to appropriately select and implement instructional strategies.
- Knowledge of the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) process and Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) rules and regulations.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule and travel within the District.
- Basic knowledge of Spanish is desirable.
- Bachelor's degree required in education or related degree with Colorado Department of Education Special Education endorsement.
-To apply, please visit the DPS job board, scroll down on the right hand side and enter Job ID 59324.
- Work Year Calendars (including accrued time off): http://thecommons.dpsk12.org/Page/1129
- Benefits (including DPS contributions): http://thecommons.dpsk12.org/Page/1397
- Compensation Structures: http://thecommons.dpsk12.org/Page/244
- Employee must live and work with a permanent home address in Colorado while working for Denver Public Schools.
About Denver Public Schools:
Denver Public Schools is committed to meeting the educational needs of every student with great schools in every neighborhood. Our goal is to provide every child in Denver with rigorous, enriching educational opportunities from preschool through high school graduation. DPS is comprised of nearly 200 schools including traditional, magnet, charter and alternative pathways schools, with an enrollment of more than 90,000 students.
DPS has become the fastest-growing school district in the country in terms of enrollment and the fastest-growing large school district in the state in terms of student academic growth. Learn more at dpsk12.org.
Denver Public Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job related factors.
Cert: Any Certification
To apply, please visit the DPS job board, scroll down on the right hand side and enter Job ID 59324.