03/29/2023Return to view all job openings
Lighthouse for the Blind of the Palm Beaches
Youth Services Specialist
Provide services to children from birth through high school graduation, who are blind or visually impaired, and their parents, families, and caregivers. Services will enhance all areas of child development including cognitive, communication, daily living, orientation and mobility, sensory and motor.
DIRECTLY REPORTS TO: Youth Services Manager
SUPERVISES: No direct reports
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
1. Provide weekly early intervention services to children birth to 5 years of age.
2. Conduct home visits, center-based, and community-based visits.
3. Provide parent education and support on an on-going basis.
4. Teach blind, deaf-blind, multiply impaired, and medically fragile participants.
5. Develop and carry out goals and objectives and a plan of care for each child.
6. Conduct vision screenings at day-cares, pre-schools and health fairs.
7. Work closely with and consult with case managers, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, psychologists, and other various members of the team.
8. Prepare individual instruction plans, progress reports and final reports.
9. Perform any range of departmental assignments or special projects as requested.
OTHER DUTIES MAY INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
1. Demonstrate by words and actions a commitment to the Lighthouse mission by advocating for and assisting persons with visual impairments to develop their capabilities to the fullest and to utilize them in the pursuits of life which are the right and privilege of all.
2. Perform or assist with any duties or operations, as required to maintain workflow and to meet schedules and quality requirements.
3. Maintain safe work area and comply with safety procedures and equipment operating rules, keeping work area in a clean and orderly condition.
4. Participate in any variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specified level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements, and policies.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
1. Bachelor degree required in Orientation and Mobility, Teacher of the Visually Impaired or Vision Rehabilitation Therapy.
2. Minimum of one (1) year experience preferred.
3. Well-developed organizational and communication skills.
4. Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; be detail-oriented, and possess time-management skills.
5. Must have a valid Florida driver’s license, valid insurance and the ability to be insured under the company’s vehicle insurance policy or reliable transportation for travel.
1. Frequent travel to participant’s home, referral agencies, meetings, conferences, etc.
2. Writing and conversing in person as well as by telephone.
3. Manage personal schedule to include direct services, planning, assessments, staff meetings, and community events.
4. Generally normal sitting, standing and walking; as well as movement for early intervention play based instruction in the home.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Computer and peripherals, word processing, spreadsheets and software programs, and standard office equipment.
SEND RESUME TO INFO@LHPB.ORG
Cert: Multiple Certifications
Required: Teacher of the Visually Impaired, COMS or CVRT
SEND RESUME TO INFO@LHPB.ORG