01/03/2023Return to view all job openings
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, but not limited to:
· Provides direct instruction in braille and technology to blind and visually impaired children.
· Provides support to instructional staff on how to implement accommodations in the learning environment.
· Adapts the environment for learning.
· Provides support to families on braille instruction.
· Attends IEP meetings as required.
· Provides outreach support and training for family and client.
· Provides direct early intervention support related to clients’ goals.
· Supports all Children’s Programs in varying capacities as needed.
· Maintains professional accreditations, licensing and/or continuing education as required.
· Participates in the adaptation of curriculum materials based on client needs and advances in the profession.
· Collaborates with Miami-Dade County Public Schools instructors and administrators.
· Participates in departmental meetings to review progress of clients as needed.
· Works with administration to advocate for special needs of the blind and visually impaired children.
· Maintains lesson plans and case notes as required.
· Conducts research to contribute to professional journals and stays current of trends in the profession.
· Participates in Professional Associations.
· Complete Functional Vision and Learning Media Assessments and/or other screenings and assessments as required.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Visual Disabilities from an accredited university.
· Fulfil all the Department of Education requirements and keep your Florida Department of Education certification valid at all times.
· Completion of DCF Child Care trainings.
· Fulfil the CVI Assessment and Intervention Certification.
· Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time; bend, climb, kneel, and push, lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
· Completion of required trainings within 2 years of hire or as required for curriculum compliance.
· Previous experience working with the visually impaired preferred.
· Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written English.
· Proficient in use of computers including Word, Excel and Outlook.
· Ability to learn and use agency’s database and computer network with efficiency.
· Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
· Valid Florida Driver’s License and/or ability to travel within the community.
· Strong planning and organizational skills, including ability to manage complex responsibilities.
· Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
· Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
· Ability to respond effectively to complaints or concerns.
· High degree of discretion when dealing with confidential information.
· Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background and drug test screening.
Cert: Any Certification