03/01/2023Return to view all job openings
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following, but not limited to:
· Assesses individual needs of client and aid client in goal setting for instruction.
· Evaluates client’s abilities to travel safely and independently in familiar and unfamiliar environments.
· Provides individualized instruction to clients.
· Provides indoor and outdoor instruction as well as outreach services as needed.
· Evaluates the client’s progress on an ongoing basis, keeping progress notes on each client.
· Estimates readiness and measures ability and competence in techniques and skills related to personal, vocational, and other needs.
· Emphasizes the efficient, effective, and appropriate use of any residual vision, low vision devices, and other sensory modalities in the learning, practice, and use of techniques, skills, and equipment to meet client’s goals.
· Teaches problem solving and resource utilization.
· Reinforces the instruction of other staff members and assists other staff members in understanding the objectives and methods, as well as equipment appropriate to instruction.
· Participates in the development of curriculum materials based on client needs and advances in the field.
· Participates in agency outreach and education.
· Assists clients in the transfer of skills gained in agency setting to other various “real-life” settings.
· Participates in conferences and staff meetings regarding assigned clients.
· Maintains resource file to share with clients and staff.
· Stays updated on current trends and changes in the field.
· Establishes and maintain appropriate client records, including daily service statistics.
· Refers clients for other services as appropriate.
· Refers to and helps to maintain an orientation and mobility policy and procedure manual.
· Acts as advocate for clients when necessary.
· Participates in department and agency quality improvement efforts.
· Prepares reports as needed.
· Provides O& M instruction to Children’s Programs “Bright Beacons”
· Provides O& M instruction to Lighthouse Learning Center students
· Maintains instructional area so clients are taught in a clean, healthy, safe, environment.
· Maintains O&M certification (COMS) current.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college with an emphasis in Orientation and Mobility. Master’s degree preferred.
· Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS), or eligible for certification and able to attain certification within established period of time.
· Previous experience working with the visually impaired preferred.
· Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written English.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
· Proficient in use of computers including Word, Excel and Internet research.
· Ability to learn and use agency’s database and computer network with efficiency.
· Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
· Ability to write reports and business correspondence, effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, their families and the general public.
· Valid Florida Driver’s License and/or ability to travel within the community.
· High degree of discretion when dealing with confidential information.
· Must be able to successfully pass a criminal background and a drug test screening.