Vision Loss Resources
01/09/2023Return to view all job openings
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Primary accountabilities for the position include, but are not limited to:
- Design, evaluate and/or modify teaching approaches to accommodate different abilities and learning styles, both for individual and small group training.
- Be knowledgeable of methods of evaluating and ability to measure student’s progress and knowledge.
- Plan instruction and deliver rehabilitation that is aligned with VLR curriculum, using various motivation techniques to support clients in reaching individual goals and engage in collaborative teaching as needed.
- Review and improve VLR training and rehabilitation protocol and curriculum to stay current with best practices.
- Organize instructional area/facilities and equipment, determine needed equipment and supplies and adapt and maintain equipment and resources to meet client requirements. Ensure equipment is properly used to maximize the client’s ability to accomplish educational/training goals.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, their family members and caregivers to deliver optimal rehabilitation support.
- Evaluate client progress and learning difficulties against goals and communicate this information to members of the client’s inter-disciplinary team. Jointly plan alternative strategies and processes to assist in client goal attainment.
- Complete documentation and monthly status reports.
- Experience working with seniors preferred
- Experience working with persons with visual impairments preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Vision Rehabilitation, Occupational Therapy, Counseling, Social Work, Teacher of the Visually Impaired, or related field.
- Commitment to the VLR mission to provide services, skills and support for people with vision loss.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural setting including hard-of-hearing, deaf, visually impaired, blind or deafblind individuals. May also work with clients who are recent immigrants from other countries.
- Ability to travel and manage travel arrangements independently in the metro area essential
- Competency with Microsoft ® Office Suite and using a database (database training provided).
- Ability to work both independently and within teams supporting team cohesion and goals.
- Strong attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated organizational, communication and project management skills.
- Ability to make recommendations with supporting rationale.
- Initiative and demonstrated pursuit of continuous improvement.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
Vision Loss Resources is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer for all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Vision Loss Resources encourages diverse candidates to apply.