04/11/2017Return to view all job openings
VISIONS Center on Blindness (VCB) Department Manager
VISIONS is looking for a seasoned office professional with case coordination and fiscal experience for the role of the Department Manager at the VISIONS Center on Blindness in Spring Valley NY. Come join the team who is working on the services for NY State First Residental Vocational Rehab Center.
Under the supervision of the VCB Senior Director, the VCB Department Manager is an integral part of the delivery of services at the VISIONS Center on Blindness Department including the Vocational Rehab Center (VRC). The VCB Department Manager is responsible for managing the information flow within the VCB Department; between the VCB Department and other VISIONS departments, the Commission for the Blind (NYSCB) and other outside agencies. The VCB Department Manager accomplishes it both directly and through supervision of other staff, if applicable. The VCB Department Manager handles all VCB client in-house recruitment activities and manages the registration process for all clients. The Department Manager is responsible for overseeing client information data entry and transmittal of information to the Commissions for the Blind referring clients and paying for services at VCB, including the VRC.
The VCB Department Manager position requires dependability, initiative, and creativity. This position also requires strong interpersonal skills, an ability to work well under pressure, careful attention to detail and the treating of personal information with confidentially.
The successful Department Manager will stimulate interest for the work of VISIONS and establish positive relationships with clients, their family members, staff, professionals and community partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with VCB Public Relations and Marketing Coordinator to monitor the flow of referrals and adjust procedures as necessary to reduce the time between initial inquiry by NYSCB (or other Commission) counselors and client enrollment
- Establish and maintain client paper and electronic files including the NYSCB Client Information System (CIS) and the Agency-Wide Database.
- Ensure that CIS and Agency databases are updated when new information/reports are received.
- Work with VCB Senior Director and/or VRC Director to review paperwork submitted by instructors for accuracy and completeness.
- Submit reports and other required paperwork to the New York State Commission for the Blind (NYSCB) and all other Commissions for the Blind in format of their choice/requirement.
- Review for accuracy and submit billing information to the Fiscal Department for all VRC services to be collected from NYSCB or other state commissions or education departments.
- Contact and resolve with NYSCB staff with program staff input all case related questions, concerns or updates.
- Assist the VCB Senior Director with tasks related to grants the department has received and monitor the submission of other forms/reports necessary.
- Oversee staff members, interns and volunteers as assigned/recruited.
- Review staff daily schedules and alert VCB Senior Director regarding any schedule irregularities noted.
- Serve as a resource for co-workers regarding information such as the client status, service assignments and government documentation requirements.
- Ensure that inquiries from clients, family, and community agencies regarding status of applications and service delivery are addressed promptly.
- Coordinate client’s transportation upon arrival and departures as well as ongoing trips necessary to other sites.
- Work with VCB Senior Director in the preparation of quarterly VCB department’s reports that are submitted to the Executive Director/CEO. Report includes: updates on significant challenges and/or successes within department, future plans and progress towards reaching NYSCB and other funders’ goals (i.e. cases awaiting service, open cases, closed cases).
- Provide orientation for new staff/volunteers and assist with human resource functions when assigned.
- Client Recruitment, Registration - Answer calls and initiate calls to VCB applicants, clients, family members and professional staff, maintain up to date client application and medical files adhering to confidentiality and privacy guidelines, keep accurate phone and message logs, assist in entering all client documentation into agency scanning system and agency-wide database, provide reports on registration/attendance as required, manage mailings to VCB clients and applicants, update documentation of client attendance, room and table assignments, and transportation for each session in a timely fashion.
- Staff Recruitment and Hiring - Update seasonal staff recruitment database with current college/grad school contacts, assist with staff recruitment mailings and at career fairs as assigned, maintain up to date staff files adhering to confidentiality and privacy guidelines, assist with mailings, photocopying, and filing of hiring forms.
- Client Outreach and Fundraising - Create flyers, appeal letters, articles, ads, and mailings. Attend outreach fairs and make presentations as assigned as back up to the public relations and marketing coordinator.
- VCB Departures - Manage clients’ transportation to and from VCB, check in, collection of medications, loading bus, etc. at VISIONS at Selis Manor for weekend sessions and summer sessions.
- Manage the needs of a daily functioning office including coverage, office supplies, equipment repairs, fax distribution, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Three years’ experience working with client information systems management and case coordination; vision rehabilitation systems management is preferred
- Excellent written, spoken, and telephone communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to relate well with a diversity of ages and cultural backgrounds; bi-lingual is a plus.
- High-level computer literacy. Must have experience using databases and Excel.
- Ability to work independently in a collaborative environment and show initiative.
- Capacity to learn custom-developed client tracking software
- College, vocational or technical degree required.
This full-time exempt position is located at VISIONS Center on Blindness campus at 111 Summit Park Road, Spring Valley NY, 10977. Scheduled evening and weekend hours may be required.
VISIONS is a 501(c) 3 nonprofit rehabilitation and social service agency incorporated in 1926. VISIONS provides service for blind and visually impaired people of all ages and their families in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area.
VISIONS is an equal opportunity employer.
VISIONS Employees should report any equipment malfunction, repair needs or any broken items immediately. At no time should there be any attempt to fix any item without written authorization and inclusion in the job description.
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, salary requirements and resume to:
Ruben P. Coellar, Chief Program Officer