Orientation and Mobility Specialist
10/12/2022Return to view all job openings
- Organize, plan and provide O & M evaluation and instruction to people who are blind, blind with other disabilities, or DeafBlind, including employees and community members
- Provide education/consultation and technical assistance to Lighthouse personnel and community members as appropriate, including all Lighthouse locations. Some travel with advance notice may be required.
- Work cooperatively with Accommodations, Operations, Safety, and Maintenance personnel to make recommendations for accommodations
- Work cooperatively with local transit authorities to provide consultation, input and expertise
- Work cooperatively to develop and maintain relationships with adaptive equipment vendors
- Assess basic low vision needs for employees and other participants
- Attend staff, program and department meetings as required
- Monitor and maintain stock of low vision and mobility related equipment for employee purchases and/or use.
- Coordinate with other O&Ms to ensure other Lighthouse sites such as JBLM and CMS have training and accommodation support or as needed (magnifiers, CCTVs, lighting recommendation, mobility instruction, cane tips, etc)
- Travel to other Base Supply Centers as requested, and/or find local resource to provide training.
- Participate and/or support ECS Department initiatives as needed (such as DeafBlind Retreat), and Lighthouse Strategic Plan initiatives
- Participate in development of program-wide goals and measurements
- Deliver services defined in grants and contracts
- Develop and maintain positive relationships in the O&M professional arena
- Maintain files, provide documentation, data collection, reports, and summaries as needed
- Develop annual budgets and work plans
- Maintain certification
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of accommodation resources
- Ability to problem solve effectively
- Ability to take initiative, function autonomously, and be dependable.
- Ability to produce high-quality written documents, including correspondence, reports, etc
- Comprehensive knowledge of PC applications, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, browser, and database software.
- Professional demeanor
- Demonstrated excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness to work as a team member
- Mature judgment and sensitivity in interpersonal relations and among diverse groups
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills
- BA or MA in Orientation and Mobility required
- ACVREP certification required
- Three (3) + years experience providing Orientation and Mobility training and instruction preferred
- Dual competency in Orientation & Mobility and Rehabilitation Teaching preferred
- ASL 4 skills or above preferred
- Ability to work schedule as assigned
The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc. transforms the lives of people who are blind, Deafblind, and blind with other disabilities. We are leaders in blind employment. Through employment opportunities, we are a catalyst for empowerment. We foster self-confidence and instill a life changing affirmation that independence is possible. From our expertise in cutting-edge technology to our understanding of mobility, we help people who are blind and Deafblind live fulfilling lives.
We believe everyone deserves to experience the power of employment. Our goal for each employee is to ignite a fire of determination that is centered on the reality that blindness doesn’t define who you are or how you choose to live.
We are dedicated to strengthening our mission by eliminating barriers to employment and services. We are committed to individuals from a spectrum of backgrounds, cultures, identities, and abilities to authentically guide our diversity, equity, and inclusion practices.?We celebrate these diverse perspectives. We pledge to make these values central to our hiring practices, upward mobility initiatives, and to the development of our leadership, business lines, programs, and community services.
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Paid Time Off (PTO) 3 weeks to start
- Medical, dental and vision plans
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with match
- Tuition Reimbursement