10/12/2022Return to view all job openings
Birch Agency has a job opportunity for an Orientation and Mobility Specialist in the Akron, OH area. We are open to a full-time or part-time candidate for this position. The O&M will cover several counties in and around the Akron, Ohio area. This is an itinerant position.??????, and Birch Agency offers excellent compensation and benefits including:
- Relocation Assistance
- Paid Time off
- Top Tier Health and Dental plans
- CEU/Licensure Reimbursement
- Paid Housing
Orientation and Mobility Job Responsibilities
- Consults with staff to identify ongoing/emerging orientation/mobility needs of students.
- Facilitates the effective planning, delivery, and ongoing improvement of orientation/mobility services.
- Develops a service schedule. Provides consultation and therapeutic intervention services.
- Guides students in orientation/mobility regimens.
- Teaches skills that help students manage the learning environment (e.g., assistive technology, augmentative devices, use of instructional/media resources, access/proximity to activities, etc.)
- Provides information about techniques to help families assist student with activities at home.
- Serves as a resource to classroom teachers. Helps staff resolve problems that impede student participation in appropriate learning activities/environments.
- Documents student progress. Ensure the accuracy of records. Prepares end-of-the year recommendations for each student served
- Consults with parents as needed (e.g., phone calls, E-mail, written notes, meetings, etc.).
- Collaborates with other staff. Shares knowledge and resources that enhance student learning
An individual in this position must be able to complete the above responsibilities on a daily basis. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Masters Degree in Orientation and Mobility
- COMS certification
- Holds a valid state department of education license/certificate appropriate for the position.
- Ability to establish working relationships with co-workers and function as part of a cohesive team.
- High-quality written and verbal skills
Birch Agency provides vision services to public, private, and charter schools throughout the United States. If you would like more information about this job or other Orientation and Mobility Specialist or Teacher of the Visually Impaired positions with our company, please send your resume to: info@birchage ncy.com.