09/26/2022Return to view all job openings
Birch Agency is hiring Special Education Braillist in the Kirkland, WA area. This is a full time on site contract position for the school year. We are currently interviewing qualified Braillist who serves as a resource to other school personnel requiring assistance with blind and low vision students.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
• Transcribe materials including books, workbooks, testing material, and classroom work for students with visual impairments, including tactile maps and graphs into requested format.
• Maintain accurate records of all transcriptions.
• Maintain properly labeled electronic files on all materials to be maintained for future use.
• Manage time to ensure that materials are available when needed by students.
• Make necessary adaptations of materials for students with visual impairments in conjunction with the tsvi.
• Remain current in computer technology as it relates to braille production and interfacing with the student’s braille-related assistive technology.
• Order and maintain an inventory of supplies needed for performance of job duties.
• Maintain a resource file for locating alternative sources of braille, large print, or electronic materials
• Knowledge of correct English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
High school diploma or equivalent and 1) completion of an associate degree, OR 2) completion of two years of college, not a degree but seventy-two (72) quarter hours or forty-eight(48) semester hours of college credit, OR 3) demonstrated knowledge of reading, writing and math and the ability to assist in instructing these subjects. This demonstration may be either an assessment or portfolio development.
Demonstrated competency with grade two Washington State UEB Braille Examination within 1 year of being hire is preferred
Two (2) years of related experience.
Birch Agency offers excellent compensation, hourly rate, weekly pay check, medical benefits, dental benefits, 401K to name a few. Send resume and cover letter for immediate consideration to email@example.com or contact Catheryne Budzian, Director of Educational Resources, 424-500-8394
Cert: Any Certification
Braille certification preferred. Will consider relevant experience in lieu of certification.