08/29/2022Return to view all job openings
The Orientation & Mobility Specialist job duties include:
1. Assesses the patient to determine extent of all residual sensorium, the potential to benefit from training and which prosthetic devices are indicated to meet individual patient needs.
2. Assessing the patient's background, interest, future plans, motivation, and capabilities for training with regard to the vision rehabilitation discipline.
3. Interprets the results of assessments and designs an individually tailored Orientation & Mobility program to meet the patient's needs.
4. Is the provider for issuance of Orientation & Mobility related prosthetic equipment.
5. Plans and instructs the patient on the use of safety techniques, proper use and maintenance of all Orientation & Mobility prosthetic devices.
6. Functions as an allied rehabilitation treatment team member.
7. Plans and instructs the patient's family member or caregiver.
8. Provides knowledge of patient to team members regarding Orientation & Mobility outcomes and describes utilization of devices to promote integration of devices into the other disciplines.
9. Serves as Patient Treatment Coordinator of assigned veterans' overall blind rehabilitation experiences and intervenes as needed.
10. Provides Orientation & Mobility outcome data for administrative analysis to ensure effective Orientation & Mobility Programs.
11. Follow all Blind Rehabilitation Service and Lebanon VA Medical Center established accountability procedures.
12. Perform all the above respective of the setting and/or program to which worker is assigned.
13. Record, report and otherwise document as necessary in accordance with established recording standards and procedures, all services performed on behalf of patients and their families.
14. Completes required VA education/mandatory training and interprets policies and directives pertaining to patients assigned to the rehabilitation team.
15. Providing instruction to Veterans in other skill areas in which the Orientation & Mobility Specialist has been cross trained.
16. Responsibility as designated by the Chief, VISOR Program or designee. These include, but are not limited to membership in Committees, clinical initiatives and other duties as assigned.
Preferred experience: Preference given to candidates with verifiable experience with adults and older adults in assessment, evaluation and teaching independent Orientation and Mobility skills, techniques and principles in all travel environments.
Telework: Not available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: AUTHORIZED
EDRP Authorized: Contact email@example.com, the EDRP Coordinator for questions/assistance. Learn more
This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan payment reimbursement program. You must meet specific individual eligibility requirements in accordance with VHA policy and submit your EDRP application within four months of appointment. Approval, award amount (up to $200,000) and eligibility period (one to five years) are determined by the VHA Education Loan Repayment Services program office after complete review of the EDRP application.
Phone: (814) 860-2764
Apply online at: https://www.usajobs.gov/job/673311100
Apply by 9/12/22