08/24/2022Return to view all job openings
WHITE SANDY BEACHES, BOATING ADVENTURES AND RESTAURANTS GALORE!
ATTENTION: CVRTS and TVIs – welcome to Naples!! The Lighthouse of Collier in Naples, Florida is looking for a full-time CVRT or TVI to work with adults. This is a great place to live and raise a family. According to Forbes magazine in 2015, Naples was rated the “top city for future job growth.” Coastal Living Magazine rated Naples as “the happiest, healthiest city in America” – three years in a row! If you are looking for a great place to live, raise a family and eventually retire, Naples has it all.
Flexible Schedule, starting salary at $60,000
This position carries the major responsibilities to instruct persons with blindness and vision loss in the use of compensatory skills, assistive technology and basic orientation and mobility skills in order to live safe, productive, and independent lives.
The main responsibilities:
1. Teach a weekly (or biweekly) course to address the areas of: activities of daily living, home and personal management, communication skills, basics of orientation and mobility, introduction to assistive technology, recreation and leisure, optical aids and lighting, the psycho-social adjustment to vision loss, accessing financial documents and paperwork, safety in the kitchen, accessible books and media and safely managing medications.
2. Teach on-going braille lessons (as determined through evaluation).
3. Teach cooking class on tools, tips and safety in the kitchen.
4. Provide individual assistive technology training
5. Provide individual lessons at the center and/or home setting.
6. Provide lessons on use of optical aids.
7. Design and implement new workshops/classes based on client need/demand.
8. Perform Functional Vision Assessments.
Other responsibilities may include, but not limited to:
· Conduct client assessments.
· Develop rehabilitation or instructional plans collaboratively with clients, based on results of assessments, needs, and goals.
· Provide outreach presentations to retirement communities and assistive living facilities.
· Collaborate with specialists, such as: Assistive Technology Instructor, Rehabilitation Counselors, Low Vision Specialists, Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists to provide client solutions.
· Participate in professional development training and workshops.
· Write reports or complete forms to document assessments, training, progress, or follow-up outcomes.
· Maintain professional accreditations, licensing and/or continuing education as required.
· Participate in weekly staff meeting.
· Access and input services in database.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
CORE COMPETENCY REQUIREMENTS
· Knowledge of blindness system
· Knowledge of medical aspects of blindness and low vision: ability to select, create or implement a Functional Vision Assessment.
· Ability to develop sequential instructional programs to integrate use of low vision aids and strategies.
· Ability to select, design and implement sequential instructional program to meet specific independent living needs of clients with blindness and vision loss in the areas of: personal management, home management, communication systems, Braille and other tactual, systems, assistive technology, recreation and leisure, deaf-blindness, psycho-social aspects of blindness and low vision, basic orientation and mobility, employment related skills.
· Must possess at minimum a bachelor’s degree in at least one of the following areas:
1.Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist (with ACVREP Certification) or
2. Teacher of the Visually Impaired (degree in Visual Disabilities). If not certified in Florida, must be able to take/pass the Florida State Board of Education Certification in the Area of Visually Impaired, or
3. Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist.
· TVIs or COMS must be willing to complete requirements to become a CVRT within 2 years.
· Experience working with adults and persons with disabilities.
· Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written English.
· Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
· Proficient in use of computers including Word, Excel, Outlook and Internet research.
· Working knowledge of screen readers, iOS devices, braille displays and note takers preferable.
· Excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
· Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, their families and the general public.
· High degree of discretion when dealing with confidential information.
Must be able to successfully pass a drug test
Job Type: Full-time
Flexible Schedule, starting salary at $60,000