Helen Keller Services
08/23/2022Return to view all job openings
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join the HKNC team as an Employment Training Specialist in our New England Region! The Employment Training Specialist is responsible for assisting with job development for DeafBlind consumers throughout Region 1 (MA, CT, RI, VT, NH & ME)and providing job supports once employment is obtained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides Pre-ETS to youth in support of readiness for employment and supports them in finding volunteer opportunities for career exploration.
- Provides vocational training on all goals established in the individual’s assessment and provides feedback to Region 1 team regarding suggestions for additional services consumer needs to be placement ready.
- Provides communication assessment, if needed, to assure that candidate has the skillset for successful placement.
- Creates a career ready portfolio for each candidate electronically that be stored in a shared drive for easy transition to placement services, which may include: resume, cover letter, references, and certificates if applicable.
- Consults placement specialist to create informational interviews for vocational assessments, and mock interviews.
- Provides counseling, information, and training to consumers to master basic life skills, work skills and appropriate work behaviors such as, but not limited to, soft skills, dress and grooming, punctuality and dependability.
- Ensures all services provided are consistent with consumer’s interest, capabilities, and needs.
- Assists consumers with developing self-advocacy skills regarding their responsibilities and opportunities that can occur in the workplace.
- Maintains necessary documentation regarding consumer progress, communicates regularly with Region 1 team, and completes required case documentation and reports in a timely manner.
- Offers work adjustment services, if needed, on a time-limited basis, to provide the consumer with an understanding of the work environment, work related behaviors and work skills in a community based integrated setting.
Note: This position requires extensive travel through the Region 1 service area. Meeting all job duties and responsibilities will require use of personal or rented vehicle.
Required EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Special Education, Social Work, or related degree OR
- One-year experience working with individuals who are DeafBlind, blind, or Deaf is required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Fluency in Braille and American Sign Language is preferred or candidate must become proficient within two years of employment.
- Knowledge of effective record keeping and report writing
- Use of Network Drive, and FMP, KLAS databases.
This is a Full time position with benefits including:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- 11 Paid Holidays Off
- Life Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- Additional Ancillary Benefits
- 403b Program w/Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Career Advancement opportunities
- Professional Development
(516) 833-8301 Ext:268