Helen Keller Services
08/23/2022Return to view all job openings
We currently have an exciting career opportunity available to join our team as a full time Administrative Assistant/SSP. The location of this position is Port St. Lucie, Florida. The Administrative Assistant/SSP provides administrative support to the Coordinator of National Outreach Adaptive Technology Training Program as required to meet the National DeafBlind Equipment Distribution Program (NDBEDP) requirements and standards set by the FCC and HKNC. This person may accompany and serve as guide and/or SSP/communication facilitator in the community for the Coordinator of the National Outreach Adaptive Technology Training Program as needed. Travel with overnight stays may be required. Fluency in American sign language is required.
Responsibilities and Duties
Specific responsibilities are but are not limited to:
- Assists with Intake process for consumers seeking services from the NDBEDP
- Maintains a database of trainers for states of Florida and Iowa; Enters information including all service requests and billing into KLAS database.
- Processes invoices ensuring they accurately reflect logs, rates and work performed and receipts are itemized for trainers, interpreters, and SSPs.
- Enters information including all service requests and billing into KLAS database.
- Provides Coordinator of National Outreach Adaptive Technology Training Program with sighted assistance when working with computers and related equipment.
- Prepares shipment of equipment; assists with researching available models of adaptive and computer equipment.
- Coordinates itinerary; makes contacts with consumers and assist with Intake process and program eligibility for consumers.
- Assists with development of professional training materials; Provides support with special projects including PowerPoint Presentations at outreach events and Technology Seminars.
- Sets appointments for in-state contractors/trainers, interpreters and SSPs consumers.
- Estimates costs for out of state services prior to scheduling to assist Coordinator with monitoring budget and maintaining expenses
- Assists with contacts, designated people and responds to e-mail including customer needs, concerns and/or complaints.
- Participates in department, scheduled inter-departmental team, general staff and staff development meetings.
- Assists with general administrative duties, including filing, tracking orders, etc.
- Performs all related duties as assigned by the Coordinator of National Outreach Adaptive Technology Training Program and/or Administration.
- Serves as a communication facilitator to Coordinator of National Outreach Adaptive Technology Training Program when making video phone calls, as well as meetings via Zoom.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Associate’s Degree Required
- Proficient ASL skills required.
- Basic knowledge about Adaptive Technology or related field required.
- Must have a minimum one year of experience working with Deaf and/or DeafBlind individuals.
- Knowledge of personal computers, hardware components, general software applications, current technology is strongly preferred. Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- General knowledge about various methods of communication utilized by individuals who are DeafBlind preferred. Familiarity with ProTactile preferred.
- Medical, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance
- 2 weeks PTO
- Paid Holidays Off
- Life Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- 403b Program w/Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Career Advancement opportunities
(516) 833-8301 Ext:268