Helen Keller Services
08/01/2022Return to view all job openings
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists in ensuring services provided to consumers are person-centered and meet the consumers’ needs by:
- Assess, through dialogue with consumer and team, the consumers’ training priorities
- Actively collaborate with team (including consumer) to design trans-disciplinary training activities, implement individualized program, review progress through debriefing, dialog to identify additional learning opportunities and assist with the assessment under the guidance of the senior instructor
- Communicate to all team members the consumers’ training priorities/ short and long-term goals.
- Ensure the consumers’ involvement in the decision-making process with team throughout training
- Actively participates in the IL Community of Practice (COP) to support learning of peers, contribute articles and discuss experiences and challenges.
- Plans lessons and provides skills training in independent living based upon the findings of the evaluation, using specific methods and adaptations required to teach individuals who are DeafBlind.
- Participates in classes and workshops (some agency provided) to gain proficiency in sign language, braille, and other specialized areas that may be helpful to work at HKNC.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in rehabilitation teaching, special education or related field required, preferably with experience teaching individuals who are DeafBlind, Deaf, Blind or have multiple disabilities.
Proficiency in American Sign Language preferred or will be expected to learn and to develop skill in American Sign Language and braille to a working level of proficiency.
Strong writing skill required for writing reports.
Knowledge of MS Office and Internet required.
Full time position with benefits including:
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays Off
- Life Insurance
- Short/Long Term Disability
- 403b Program w/Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Tuition Reimbursement
(516) 833-8301 Ext:268