Helen Keller Services
08/01/2022Return to view all job openings
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide instruction in safe and efficient travel skills; specifically, indoor techniques including human guide, self-protection, and cane skills on campus to consumers.
- Evaluate progress of students and submits scheduled written reports (assessment, training and transition).
- Keep abreast of and evaluate current O&M research, teaching methods and aids. If appropriate, recommend and implement these methods or aids into student programs and services.
- Share responsibility for the equipment and general appearance of the work area.
- Suggest need for appropriate material and equipment.
- Provide in-service training for staff members and others regarding orientation and mobility training for DeafBlind individuals.
- Accompany and provide human guide and/or communication support for consumers and professional staff members when assigned. To accomplish this, it may be required to use personal vehicle on occasion.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree in Blind Rehabilitation with an emphasis in Orientation and Mobility required.
- Two years’ experience teaching orientation and mobility preferred.
- Knowledge of braille and sign language preferred.
(516) 833-8301 Ext:268
You do not have to have the certification. It is preferred.