07/07/2022Return to view all job openings
· Evaluates the student’s ability and formulates the student’s Orientation & Mobility profile through a variety of functional, behavioral and standardized assessments, skilled observation, checklists, histories and interviews.
· Collaborates with other disciplines to ensure team understanding of student Orientation & Mobility performance strengths and needs, through evaluation, educational program planning and service delivery.
· Plan and implemented medically prescribed Orientation & Mobility treatment program for each student assigned to the Orientation & Mobility Therapist.
· Ensure that students receive Orientation & Mobility, individual and/or group as indicated by the Individual Educational Plan (IEP).
· Develop and write appropriate Individual Educational Plans (IEP) for each student assigned to the Orientation & Mobility Therapist based on student needs and evaluation results.
· Integrate Orientation & Mobility treatment program into the comprehensive student educational plan.
· To actively contribute to team planning and staffing meetings by sharing information with other staff members and using their input to formulate comprehensive and integrated plans for students. All staff members are knowledgeable and have specific skills relevant to the needs of students that they work with.
· Applies ethics and standards of professional practice in the delivery of services and observes relevant laws and policies that govern the practice.
· Ensure that parents are informed of each student’s progress and provide assistance to families to help with carryover of skills. Maintains a mature professional attitude in the interactions with students, families and other staff members.
· Exhibits a mature professional attitude in interactions as evidence by effective relationships with student’s families and other staff members.
· Follow all procedures and routines of the assigned program and the whole of the Institute. To conform to procedures and routines of the Institute, to ensure consistency and continuity of each child’s program.
· To review physician orders, referral packet, school and student medical records.
· Order and maintain special equipment and supplies as needed. If necessary, design and construct special equipment for students and suggest adaptations for students
· Document and maintain log of all interventions recommended for use by the Orientation & Mobility therapist along with monitoring of expected outcomes.
· Complete assigned paperwork as per the due dates stated by the program administrator.
· Plan and conduct in-service education for staff so as to enhance staff’s ability to understand and follow through on therapist recommendations for best practices.
· To participate in the intake process.
· To assist in the delivery of Orientation & Mobility services in programs other than the primary program assigned, as needed.
· To participate in school and community based professional development activities.
· Perform duties and responsibilities of the job without physical restrictions.
· Maintain level of activity and Orientation & Mobility assistance consistent with the needs of young children with disabilities ranging in age from 5-21, including but not limited to assisting non-ambulatory students in campus travel and in various school activities.
· Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, some lifting and carry up to 15 pounds.
Education, Knowledge and Skills:
· Have successfully completed and graduated from an accredited Orientation & Mobility professional program recognized by the National Board for Certification of Orientation & Mobility Therapist and have completed all fieldwork requirements.
· A proficient level of knowledge and understanding in the following areas:
o Braille Code
o Assistive Technology
o Implications of Eye Diseases and Conditions
o Expanded Core Curriculum
o Tactile Graphic Production
o Functional Vision Assessment
o Developmental Patterns in the Visually Impaired
o Orientation and Mobility Techniques
Other duties may be assigned by your supervisors that are job related and not presented in this job description.
Phone: 7185197000 x8316
This position is for the 2022-2023 School year starting on September 6, 2022
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org