Wayfinder Family Services
04/01/2022Return to view all job openings
Early Intervention Visual Impairment Specialist Responsibilities:
- Provides home visits to families, supporting parent/child interactions through developmentally appropriate play activities.
- Works with families to develop curriculum appropriate for a child with vision impairment.
- Provides family with information about visual diagnosis and effects of vision loss on early childhood development.
- Conducts developmental and functional vision assessments using observation, parent interview and formal assessment strategies.
- Provides social/emotional and crisis support to families as appropriate.
- Plans and implements family events, providing information and parent to parent support.
- Refers families to community resources.
- Actively collaborates with community-based providers of related services to overcome family barriers, such as language, culture and income.
- Consults with professional community on behalf of children and families (attend medical visits; IFSP, IEP sessions; program visits, etc.).
- Provides workshops and trainings for parents and professionals.
- Follows agency guidelines for participation in the National Registry of Early Childhood Vision Impairment Project.
- Provides monthly accounting of client contract hours.
- Provides information regarding program services to Development Department on request.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience:
- B.A.,B.S. degree required or M.A. degree in Special Education, Social Work, Child Development, Orientation and Mobility, Infant or Early Childhood, or Social Work.
- Teaching credential in Vision Impairment, Orientation & Mobility, Early Childhood Special Education, and/or a Certificate in Early Childhood Education preferred.
- Professional preparation in the education of children with vision impairments, orientation and mobility, infant or early childhood development, and/or social work.
- Experience as a home teacher.
- Experience working in multi-cultural situations preferred.
- Experience/training in Active Learning techniques of Lilli Nielsen preferred.
- Child and Family Counseling background.
- Bilingual (Spanish) required.