Massachusetts Commission for the Blind
03/28/2022Return to view all job openings
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Assess consumers’ travel needs, motivation, and visual and physical abilities and develop an individualized training program with the goals of increasing safety, maximizing independence and/or orientation to new environment(s);
- Teach long cane skills, dog guide route orientation, use of electronic aids, use of public transportation and other means;
- In addition to the long white cane, MCB provides a short cane for identification for assistance in detecting inclines and obstacles in pathways.
- Provide technical assistance regarding environmental and transportation access issues and provision of O&M services to consumers;
- Participate in providing falls prevention training to older individuals who are blind;
- Complete case documentation, perform electronic consumer tracking functions and maintain case files.
- COMS certification from Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP).
- Knowledge of the principles, techniques and methods of case management.
- Knowledge of the psychological, social, educational and health issues facing MCB consumers.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and provide supportive counseling to consumers and their families/support network.
- Ability to serve diverse populations and familiarity with secondary disabilities in addition to blindness.
- Ability to handle confidential information with an understanding of diversity and the importance of fostering an open and respectful work environment.
- Capacity to learn and apply agency policies and procedures including fiscal guidelines for purchasing services for consumers.
- Knowledge of government and community agencies responsible for providing benefits and services to MCB consumers.
- Demonstrated collaboration with other state agencies and school systems.
- Experience in using electronic case management or similar client information systems.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
About the Commission for the Blind:
The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB) is the point of entry for vocational and social rehabilitation services for residents of the Commonwealth who are declared to be legally blind by an eye professional. These services help individuals to work toward independence and full community participation.
Please view full job posting at: