02/25/2022Return to view all job openings
POSITION: DUALLY CERTIFIED VISION REHABILITATION THERAPIST (VRT) / ORIENTATION AND MOBILITY SPECIALIST (COMS)
STATUS: FLSA NON EXEMPT
SUPERVISOR: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Dually Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist will provide therapy to patients with visual impairments to improve their functioning in daily life activities and may train patients in activities such as computer use, communication skills, and home management skills. Therapy is provided in BCABVI’s Low Vision Clinic, community or patient homes as appropriate for patient success.
• Assesses clients’ functioning in areas such as vision, orientation and mobility skills, social and emotional issues, cognition, physical abilities, and personal goals.
• Identifies visual impairments related to basic life skills in areas such as self-care, literacy, communication, health management, home management, and meal preparation.
• Develops rehabilitation and instructional plans collaboratively with clients based on results of assessments, needs, and goals
• Monitors clients’ progress to determine whether changes in rehabilitation plans are needed.
• Writes reports, completes forms and enters case notes into BCABVI’s client database to document assessments, training, progress, and follow-up outcomes.
• Recommends appropriate mobility devices and systems such as human guides, dog guides, long canes, electronic travel aids, and other adaptive mobility devices.
• Provides instruction on and maintainance of low-vision devices recommended by Low Vision Optometrist.
• Teaches cane skills including cane use with a guide, diagonal techniques, and two-point touches. Trains clients to use tactile, auditory, kinesthetic, olfactory, and proprioceptive information.
• Collaborates with specialists such as low vision optometrist, occupational therapists to provide client solutions.
• Works with Client Navigator and/or Caseworker to coordinate services such as eye care, health care, rehabilitation, and counseling, to enhance visual and life functioning and when conditions exceed scope of practice.
• Provides support and education to monthly client groups.
• Participates in professional development activities such as reading literature, continuing education, attending conferences, and collaborating with colleagues.
• Strong patient care skills.
• Excellent listening skills and an understanding of the challenges facing the visually impaired.
• Strong understanding of the causes and impacts of visual impairment.
• Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Prolonged periods of standing, reaching, and bending.
• Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Master’s degree required
• Valid Certified Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Certificate required
• Valid Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist Certificate required
• ACVREP certification preferred
• Five or more years experience preferred
Cert: Multiple Certifications
Please submit resume and credentials to Anne Marie Hyer, Executive Director at email@example.com.
About Us: The Bucks County Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an independent 501(c) 3 organization located in Newtown, PA. We are a continually learning organization that values collaboration, innovation and inclusion. We have a flexible, relaxed work environment but are dedicated to providing the highest quality of services for our clients. Additional information is available at www.bucksblind.org