02/22/2022Return to view all job openings
Entry-Level Assistive technology specialist (ATS) - Blindness Position Description
Title: Entry-Level Assistive Technology Specialist - Blindness
Location: Partially remote – Reports to Silver Spring, MD on established days
iYellow Access, is dedicated to advancing equitable access and empowerment of persons with disabilities through the provision of Assistive Technology tools and solutions aimed at fostering independence and productivity.
We believe all individuals, regardless of ability, should have equal access to the tools needed to perform essential job or educational functions. We believe a disability is not a barrier to successful, competitive employment or academic achievement.
Our work is informed by our core values. Raise the Bar - we continually strive to hold ourselves and our clients to higher expectations and rise above the industry status quo. Celebrate Differences - we celebrate our diversity and are proud of our differences. We look for the unique qualities and perspectives each person and partner bring to our team. It is through this lens we are better positioned to assist those in need of our services. Be in it Together - when we do well, we all do well and when we have challenges, we work through them together. Make No Assumptions - we cannot change the status quo if we continue to make assumptions.
The primary role of the Entry Level Assistive Technology Specialist (ATS) is to aid existing ATS staff in the performance of assessments, training, support, installation and configuration services primarily for customers who are low vision or blind using Assistive Technology (AT) in a variety of environments (home, school and work). Work will be performed both independently and as a member of the AT Services team.
Primary job responsibilities
Support iYellow Access staff who are performing the following services:
- Assessing client’s current skill level regarding their AT and computer acumen, adapting training lessons and materials accordingly and making recommendations for equipment (AT or IT) or for additional training
- Creating training outlines and accessible reference materials
- Training clients to use AT hardware and software on a variety of platforms to include PC, Android, and Apple in one on one and group settings both in person and remotely
- Installing, configuring and troubleshooting a variety of AT products including screen readers, screen magnification software and other technologies on PCs, Macs and smart devices
- Communicating progress of services provided in professional business correspondence and verbally to key stakeholders
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in computer science, engineering, information technology, information systems, special education or education may be well suited for this position
- Possess or obtain certifications in JAWS and ZoomText within one month of hire and any of the following certifications a plus including RESNA Assistive Technology Professional (ATP), Assistive Technology Applications Certificate Program (ATACP), Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), CompTIA A+, Certified Assistive Technology Instructional Specialist for People with Visual Impairments (CATIS), DHS Trusted Tester, Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC)
- Strong technical skills as the position requires integration of various assistive technologies including JAWS, Fusion, ZoomText and Voiceover
- Excellent problem-solving ability
- Experience in PDF remediation and Instructional Design a plus
- The ideal candidate will have some experience training, installing, configuring and troubleshooting in a variety of computing environments
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and has the ability to learn other software platforms such as Salesforce, Microsoft Teams, and SharePoint
- Outstanding organizational, case management and customer service skills and attention to detail
- Confident public speaker who can communicate verbally and in writing the purpose and results of the service they are providing to wide varying audiences including professionals with and without experience with accessibility and disability
- U.S. Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Federal security clearance within 60 days of employment
- Ability to travel independently
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster as required by stakeholders