12/09/2021Return to view all job openings
1. Perform quality Access Technology assessments and subsequent training to support the technology needs of clients across all service areas to include facility-based, home-based, work-based, and community-based venues.
2. Collaborate with all AT staff to optimize communication regarding client needs and plans for services across locations.
3. Develop goals and objectives following evaluation to ensure that each client reaches his/her highest ability based on his/her needs and desires. Collect pre and post data to measure outcomes of service.
4. Submit assessments, progress summaries, discharge summaries, daily notes, follow up reports, and invoices by procedure to support reimbursement from all funding sources. Accurately document all services in Apricot as determined by department policy to ensure timely invoicing and to maintain good communication with Lighthouse staff, referring Physicians, and contracting agencies.
5. Provide group instruction in Access Technology to participants in the Senior Tech and Mobile Tech Programs for clients who qualify for Older Blind services as outlined in the program curricula.
6. Supervise a free typing program to assist individuals in enhancing their keyboard skills as needed to support computer training.
7. Collaborate with the Lighthouse Career Advisor to support employability skills training for employees seeking job opportunities beyond manufacturing.
8. Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team to support the needs of all New Orleans and Baton Rouge service programs for youth and adults.
9. Collaborate with the Occupational Therapy staff to provide training to clients in the New Vision ILS program and Low Vision Clinic, as needed.
10. Maintain strong working knowledge of current hardware, software, assistive devices, and mobile technology available to support the needs of individuals who are blind or Deaf/blind on both Windows and Apple platforms.
11. Oversee AIRA usage in NOLA and document feedback.
12. Conduct technology screenings and subsequent training for all employees who are visually impaired upon hire to foster their independence to access the company HR software system.
13. Perform system upgrades and replace software and hardware systems in technology lab as directed by the AT Manager. Collaborate with the AT and IT Managers to maintain database of training licenses and hardware.
14. Maintain clean and clutter-free environments in all tech labs to create welcome training areas for daily clients, guests, and visitors.
15. Participate in education and advocacy events to promote inclusion for people with vision impairment. Represent the Lighthouse at local coalition meetings. Provide sensitivity training to community partners and in-services to internal staff on topics relevant to Access Technology.
16. Stay informed of changes and improvements in the field of Vision Rehabilitation to guarantee the provision of optimal services to clients, to support program development, and to promote the growth of the organization.
17. Foster a team environment with effective communication and a coordinated approach to providing vision rehabilitation services.
18. Follow all ISO procedures as required.
19. Perform other duties as assigned by the AT Manager or Vice President of Vision Rehabilitation Services.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
1. Education: Degree and certification as a Vision Rehabilitation Therapist required. Additional CATIS Certification or progress toward certification preferred.
2. Special Knowledge/Skills: Excellent computer skills to include expert knowledge of all versions of Microsoft Windows and Office products required. Working knowledge of Apple products and accessibility features required. Current working knowledge of Assistive hardware, software, and assistive devices for the blind required. Strong troubleshooting skills required. Excellent oral and written communication skills required. Ability to develop and perform professional presentations required. JAWS/ZoomText certification preferred.
3. Experience: At least 350 hours experience assessing and teaching Access Technology for the blind required. Experience managing database systems preferred. Experience with Apricot software preferred.
4. Supervisory Responsibilities: Weekly Tech Lab volunteers.
5. Physical: Must be energetic and able to function in a dynamic office setting. Must be able to tolerate driving in all conditions for extended periods to support travel between New Orleans and Baton Rouge. Must be able to tolerate sitting at a computer for extended periods. Able to travel throughout the facility to safely and effectively manage all work responsibilities, breaks, and emergency evacuations, with or without a reasonable accommodation. Able to manage all self-care needs and activities of daily living as required to support successful employment, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
6. Personality Traits: Personable, responsive, and patient. Maintain professional appearance and attitude appropriate to the position. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Ability to respond to directions and suggestions. Ability to assume responsibility for project completion. Ability to work independently and with a team. Ability to maintain focus on work in a dynamic environment. Analytical thinker who can solve problems effectively and demonstrate good attention to detail. Mission-minded.
7. Working Conditions: Classroom, client home/work, commercial, and industrial environments. Frequent travel required. Temporary remote status. Valid driver’s license and clear driving record required, along with valid insurance.
8. Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 40 hours per week. Occasional weekend community outreach activities and training sessions.
9. Background Check and Drug Testing required: Employment is contingent based upon satisfactory results.
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. The incumbent in this position will perform such other tasks as may be required for the effective operation of the Division/Department upon request by his/her supervisor.
Accomplishments in these areas of responsibility will be the basis of the employee’s evaluation, continuation of employment and change in compensation.
1. CATIS Certification or progress toward certification preferred.