08/18/2021Return to view all job openings
Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada BC is the province’s leading provider of professional vision rehabilitation therapy. Our professionally certified VLR British Columbia specialists continue to set global standards for expertise, training and professionalism in the field.
Date: August 18, 2021
Job Title: Specialist, Independent Living Skills
Term: Permanent Full-Time
Location: Kelowna or Prince George, BC
In covering a broad range of duties and responsibilities include providing instruction and guidance in compensatory independent living skills, and assistive technology, enabling individuals living with vision loss to independently carry out daily activities.
This position provides functional expertise for the comprehensive multi-faceted service and operations program within a matrix reporting structure.
Your impact at VLRC:
· Assesses the independent living needs and abilities of individuals.
· With the individual, identifies and prioritizes goals, and develops an independent living plan.
· Teaches adaptive skills for independent living in areas of personal management, household management, communication, leisure activities, basic indoor orientation & mobility skills, and basic technology training
· Assists individuals in the acquisition and use of assistive devices.
· Promotes self-advocacy skills for individuals living with vision loss to access community programs and resources (i.e. leisure programs, acquisition of adaptive equipment, etc.).
· Maintains all case data and documentation consistent with CNIB Systems and Procedures.
· Provides consultation, public education, and in-service training.
· Performs administrative duties including, but not limited to service tracking, benchmarking, report writing, etc.
· Liaises and builds relationships with community-based rehabilitation teams, agencies, schools, partners and stakeholders.
· Provides support and consultation to individuals and their families re adjustment to vision loss.
· Attends and participates in multi-disciplinary team meetings.
· Promotes an understanding and awareness of vision health related issues through consultation, public education, and in-service training.
· Assists with the placement, training and supervision of apprenticeship and intern students.
Who you are:
· You have Knowledge and experience working with individuals with vision loss.
· You have Knowledge and experience working with accessible technology.
· You have demonstrated individual client centred approach and commitment.
· You display a mature and professional attitude.
· You are Knowledgeable about disabilities and all life stages (children to seniors).
· You have well-developed interpersonal and communications skills.
· You have strong decision-making and problem-solving ability.
· You are self-directed, organized and detail oriented.
We want to hear from you if you have:
· A Graduate of the Instructor for Blindness and Visual Impaired Program (Mohawk College), Diploma in Specialized Studies, Vision Rehabilitation Therapy and Vision Rehabilitation (University of Montreal), or other equivalent study.
· Eligible for ACVREP certification.
· Good command of relevant computer applications
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Clear Criminal Record Check.
· Need to work flexible hours.
· Day travel to outlying communities and overnight travel to Northern BC.
At VLRC, you will discover, a culture of Diversity, teamwork and professionalism. Every VLRC employee enables the best possible client centered care for our clients and their families. Whether you are providing direct client services or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That is why we are focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
Join BCs leading provider of rehabilitation therapy with province-wide programs, services, and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
• Access to in-house training programs.
• Opportunity for advancement
• Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including a pension plan.
• 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement, personal days and sick days.
• Perks include flexible workplace, Health & Wellness program.
If this sounds like the role for you, apply now to email@example.com. Be sure to include a resume, cover letter, and mention how you heard about this opportunity
VLRC is committed to creating and fostering an inclusive culture and welcomes applications from diverse candidates, including but not limited to Indigenous peoples, women, candidates with disabilities, and candidates of colour. We strongly encourage applications from applicants with sight loss. Direct lived experience would be a definite asset. We are excited to review your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in VLRC, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about Vision Loss Rehabilitation Canada, please visit visionlossrehab.ca.
Closing Date for Applications: Open until Filled
Phone: (250) 317-2722