08/12/2021Return to view all job openings
Position: Teacher of the Blind & Low Vision (TVI) – Part-Time
Reports to: Supervisor of Instruction & Operations
Start Date: Immediately
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn seeks a NYS certified Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI) to join the educational team in support of the education of students who are DeafBlind and/or have Deaf with low vision with their IEP goals and classroom participation.
· Work with a caseload of students on an individual basis through the models of Push-In, Pull-Out and community settings, in accordance with IEP mandates.
· Conduct evaluations to determine eligibility for admission to the school as well as conduct annual assessments related to students who are Deafblind or Deaf with low vision.
· Design and implements interventions that reflect knowledge of child development and specialized techniques appropriate for students who are DeafBlind.
· Prepare classroom modifications for assigned students.
· Act as the lead accessibility advocate for students who are DeafBlind.
· Utilize available resources to best meet the needs of the students.
· New York State Education Department TVI Certification, required
· Severe and Multiple Disabilities experience, preferred
· Minimum of Intermediate rating on SLPI
· DeafBlind Endorsement is a plus
· Capacity to manage multiple responsibilities and competing demands
· Demonstrated ability to work in a calm and respectful manner
· Commitment to fostering a collaborative, professional, and respectful work environment
· Maintain a positive, encouraging attitude to motivate others.
St. Francis offers a competitive salary commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf (SFDS) is a privately owned, state supported school for Deaf students from birth through 8th grade located in the Prospect Heights section of Brooklyn. SFDS offers a Parent Infant Program (Ages 0-3), an Early Childhood Program (Ages 3-5) and a School Age Program (Grades K-8). Students attending SFDS are Deaf, Deafblind, Functionally Deaf and Deaf with Additional/Multiple Disabilities including Deaf with Autism and Deaf with Intellectual Disabilities. SFDS utilizes best practices from current research in Deaf Education. We are a communicative, language and literacy rich environment.
For more information about St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf, visit us online at www.sfdesales.org.
APPLYING FOR THE POSITION
To apply, please submit a letter of application, resume, and salary expectations to:
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn
260 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11225
The review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Cert: Any Certification