08/12/2021Return to view all job openings
Position: Orientation & Mobility Specialist – Part Time
Reports to: Supervisor of Instruction & Operations
Start Date: Immediately
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn seeks an experienced Orientation & Mobility Specialist to assist students with visual impairments improve their ability to be aware of and move safely in their environments. This contract position has a broad scope of responsibilities as outlined below.
· Provide direct consultation in O&M to students who are blind or visually impaired with additional disabilities in accordance with their IEPs.
· Prepare Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and reports, evaluating and monitoring student progress, and documenting progress.
· Work with a caseload of students on an individual basis through the models of Push-In, Pull-Out and community settings, in accordance with IEP mandates.
· Modify instructional materials, techniques and assessments appropriate for the ages and skill level of the students.
· Design and implements interventions that reflect knowledge of child development and specialized techniques appropriate for students who are DeafBlind.
· Prepare classroom modifications for assigned students.
· Act as the lead accessibility advocate for students.
· Utilize available resources to best meet the needs of the students.
· Orientation & Mobility experience, required
· Severe and Multiple Disabilities experience, preferred
· Minimum of Intermediate rating on SLPI
· Capacity to manage multiple responsibilities and competing demands
· Demonstrated ability to work in a calm and respectful manner
· Commitment to fostering a collaborative, professional, and respectful work environment
· Maintain a positive, encouraging attitude to motivate others.
St. Francis offers a competitive salary commensurate with the successful candidate’s experience.
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf (SFDS) is a privately owned, state supported school for Deaf students from birth through 8th grade located in the Prospect Heights section of Brooklyn. SFDS offers a Parent Infant Program (Ages 0-3), an Early Childhood Program (Ages 3-5) and a School Age Program (Grades K-8). Students attending SFDS are Deaf, Deafblind, Functionally Deaf and Deaf with Additional/Multiple Disabilities including Deaf with Autism and Deaf with Intellectual Disabilities. SFDS utilizes best practices from current research in Deaf Education. We are a communicative, language and literacy rich environment.
For more information about St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf, visit us online at www.sfdesales.org.
APPLYING FOR THE POSITION
To apply, please submit a letter of application, resume, and salary expectations to:
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf in Brooklyn
260 Eastern Parkway
Brooklyn, NY 11225
The review of applications is ongoing and will continue until the position is filled.
St. Francis de Sales School for the Deaf is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.