08/02/2021Return to view all job openings
Title: Orientation and Mobility Specialist
Job Goal: To provide orientation and safe travel skills at a developmentally appropriate level to visually impaired students. To orient staff and train, staff to follow through on appropriate safe travel skills within the classroom and school.
* Valid Type 10 Certificate in Blind and Partially Seeing with O & M Endorsement OR AER Certification
* Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree Preferred
* Valid TX Driver’s license and safe driving record
* Working knowledge of orientation and travel skills from preschool through high school; including adapted mobility devices, long cane, public transportation, etc.
* Ability to work well with all staff
* Commitment to professional development
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provide appropriate, individualized instruction to each student on the caseload
* Develop lesson plans and schedules that meet the goals of each student
* Provide consultation and assistance to vision staff as to skills to implement in the classroom
* Establish open, frequent communication with parents, and all related service staff
* Make recommendations for time need to implement goals
* Knowledge of Braille
* Ability to teach tactile maps
* Ability to teach techniques to train eccentric viewing and utilization of appropriate low vision devices necessary for orientation or travel
* Assisting students to understand the impact of vision and to make safe travel decisions
* Follow through on team developed behavioral goals
* Participate in appropriate staff meetings as requested
* Establish and maintain a positive atmosphere in working with staff in order that this atmosphere will be carried over for the student
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassignduties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated.