07/23/2021Return to view all job openings
The Carroll Center for the Blind seeks a dynamic Assistive Technology Instructor to teach low vision and blind consumers, as well as those who work with them, to use mainstream technology with assistive technology for employment and/or educational purposes. The Assistive Technology Instructor works with consumers and referral agencies to determine the most appropriate computer access product(s) and training goals. Incumbents will perform direct instruction on computers, devices and applications and tablets and cellphones; provide assistive technology assessments, generate training and assessment reports; respond to questions submitted to Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) Computer Training Alumni Google Group and perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and CATIS certification preferred, 2-3 years’ experience as an Assistive Technology Instructor for the blind or 5 plus years as a user who demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the software products required.
• Ability to self-teach or collaborate with co-workers when possible to learn new or unfamiliar technology.
• Demonstrated ability to trouble-shoot technical problems and identify support systems when necessary.
• Possesses excellent interpersonal and strong written/oral communication skills.
• Capable of working autonomously or as part of a team.
• Advanced knowledge of the following: JAWS for Windows, ZoomText/Fusion, Voiceover on Mac and iPhone, Victor Reader Stream, Windows 10, Microsoft Office 2020/365 including Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Web browsers for navigating websites, and Adobe Reader, TalkBack on Androids, Zoom meetings.
We offer a generous benefits package to include health and dental coverage (70% employer paid), vision, Flexible Spending Account, 3 weeks accrued vacation, personal day, 12 accrued sick days, 11 holidays and a retirement program (403b) with up to a 3% employer match.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and always fosters acceptance for everyone. We offer fair opportunities to all qualified persons in recruitment and selection, employment, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, transfers, promotions, social activities, and the use of CCB’s facilities. CCB welcomes all qualified applicants and ensures that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military, or veteran status, political or union affiliation, or any other categories protected by Federal or State law.
The CCB culture embraces both the law and a work environment that is safe, positive, diverse, inclusive, and equitable for all. Our mission and impact shines bright on all.
Should you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please email HR at the email provided on our job application, which can be found on our website's Career Page, www.carroll.org.
Phone: 6179696200, x223
The Carroll Center for the Blind empowers those who are blind and visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. The Carroll Center serves all ages and stages of vision loss by providing campus-based rehabilitation, technology instruction, community orientation and mobility as well as itinerant education and mobility services to children.