07/09/2021Return to view all job openings
Since 1974, Lighthouse of Southwest Florida has provided vision rehabilitation, education, independent life skills, and job training to thousands of people with low vision and blindness and their families.
The Lighthouse of Southwest Florida is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Babies and Children’s Program Specialist
· Oversee all aspects of individualized Early Intervention and Vision Rehabilitation Services for students (0-14) and their families by completing functional assessments and providing reflective instruction and case management for the Babies/Children’s Program.
· Creates and directs group and individual sessions and program events that are designed to help the student participate with their peers meaningfully, socially, academically, and independently.
· Accept referrals for service of children with visual impairments (ages 0-14)
· Conduct initial intakes and assessments with all new students as well as plan review and plan revisions for existing students.
· Assist in determining program eligibility.
· Review and ensure assigned cases meet contract requirements and deliverables.
· Create & direct curriculum-based modules to prepare the students and their families for future success and independence.
· Case Management for assigned cases, including but not limited to: filing, data entry, lesson planning and delivery (including in-person, virtual, or remote), material preparation, scheduling, and case coordination.
· Perform functional vision and developmental assessments (including the CVI Range) with children under age 5 and make recommendations for service planning with interdisciplinary providers including the schools, private therapies and Early Steps.
· Obtain and interpret eye/medical reports as they relate to educational, home and community environments.
· Counsel and empower students and their families in regard to communication skills, mobility skills, social interaction, independent living skills, recreation skills, career planning, using assistive technology, self-advocacy and visual efficiency.
· Schedule and coordinate group and individual sessions for the students in relation to their academic, social, and expanded core curriculum needs.
· Coordinate with other Lighthouse of SWFL instructional staff to provide assessments, instruction, and counseling with students as needed.
· Coordinate with outside resources to enhance services for students and their families by providing opportunities for community integration.
· Coordinate services in conjunction with the goals of students’ IEP plans (via school, Early Steps, and community providers).
· Coordinate and implement extended day and summer camp activities to best enhance the services for students.
· Employee is required to appear for work at the office location, or at client locations as scheduled, during work hours.
· Other duties as assigned.
Cert: Multiple Certifications
Education and/or Experience:
· Minimum requirement of a Bachelor’s degree in education or special education (Teacher Visually Impaired) or related vision rehabilitation field (Vision Rehabilitation or Orientation & Mobility). Master’s degree in education, special education, or field of vision rehabilitation preferred.
· Three (3) years of experience in the field of Vision Rehabilitation preferred.
· Computer Skills (Microsoft Office)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
· Certification required: TVI, CVRT, CLVT, or COMS.
· Certification preferred: VIISA (0-3), VIISA (3-5), and INSITE
· Must maintain professional accreditation, licensing and/or continued education as required.
Agency hours: Mon - Thurs 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (occasional weekends)
Health/Vision/Dental/Life Insurance and 401(k)
Paid vacation, sick and holiday
Continuing education opportunities
Job Type: Full-time
Apply online at Indeed.com. No phone calls please.