05/03/2021Return to view all job openings
Come join a world class organization and make a difference in the lives of the blind and visually impaired students of Tennessee. The Tennessee School for the Blind is seeking an Orientation and Mobility instructor to serve students on its Nashville, Tennessee campus. The position is ideal for an O&M instructor at any phase in their career. You will be joining an experienced, student focused team that provides quality instruction to students and enables them to safely navigate their world. Out of state applicants can now take advantage of new reciprocity flexibility. A hard to staff bonus is available.
· Requires minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, including eligibility for a TN teacher license as a Teacher of the Visually Impaired or other recognized endorsement.
· Requires an O&M certification (Bachelor’s or Master’s program) and be ACVREP certifiable
· Requires a comprehensive knowledge of vision and O&M techniques and teaching approaches and their application to the instruction of students, including those with multiple disabilities.
· General knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the eye including eye diseases and conditions and their implications.
· Comprehensive knowledge and skills of teaching O&M and the Expanded Core Curriculum.
· Ability to demonstrate competency in Braille and orientation and mobility skills.
· Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
· Demonstrate knowledge and skill in the following assessment areas: Functional Vision, Learning Media, Expanded Core Curriculum and orientation and mobility.
· Knowledge of working with students with cognitive disabilities, behavior and/or other medical needs.
· Prepare lesson plans, adapt materials, provide direct instruction to the students.
· Work as part of an education/assessment team responsible for identifying, developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating individual objectives for the IEP.
· Collaborate and model skills for others on the team in the school and with the families who work with the students.
· Participate in required school and student meetings.
· Conduct in-service trainings on and off campus to share vision and O&M information with others.
Salary: Based on years of experience and certifications.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to Kim.Stein@tsbtigers.org. Also include a copy of your education certificate and *unofficial copies of all transcripts.
*An unofficial copy of transcripts must be submitted at the time of application. Transcripts from colleges and universities outside the United States must be assessed for U.S. equivalency by a NACES educational credential evaluation service. This documentation is the responsibility of the applicant and must be included as part of your application materials. Failure to provide a transcript or credential evaluation report may result in your application being rejected and you will not be able to continue in the selection process for the announcement.
Candidates with disabilities who require special accommodations or alternative communication formats should contact the Superintendent’s Office at (615) 231-7316 no later than five days prior to their scheduled interview to facilitate reasonable accommodations.
Pursuant to the State of TN's policy of non-discrimination, the Department of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military services in its policies, or in the admission of, access to, treatment, or employment in its programs, services, or activities.