Vision Loss Rehabilitation
06/19/2020Return to view all job openings
Essential Duties entail (but not limited to):
Vision Rehabilitation Assessment and Planning:
- Carry out initial phone screenings with clients to determine the type of support required and level of urgency, to communicate timeframes and if required to make a referral for additional support internally or externally
- ·Set up plans with clients from the outset to clearly outline the type of support that will be provided and to clarify the roles of both the Vision Rehabilitation Provider and the client in the process
- ·Carry out comprehensive assessments with clients (using appropriate assessment tools) to determine the client's aspirations, skills, gaps, training and support requirements
- ·Compile reports summarizing recommendations
- ·Develop Individual Plans with clients to outline what is required to be achieved and appropriate timeframes. Where appropriate, work with other agencies in the community to support clients in their aspirations
- ·Review Individual Plans with clients every 3 months to assess progress against the plan and to make necessary adjustments
Vision Rehabilitation Service Delivery and Support
- Deliver Low vision therapy services to clients across all ages in line with Vision Loss Rehabilitation guidelines and standards
- Provide 1 on 1 coaching, training and support based on assessments carried out and plans developed
- Co-ordinate and partake in groups and workshops
- Make appropriate referrals to other services within Vision Loss Rehabilitation (e.g. Orientation & Mobility, Independent living, Emotional Support) and to the community partners as needed
- Provide employers and post-secondary partners with support to implement sight loss specific accommodations
- Where appropriate link members with a mentor who have a vision impairment to support them in their quest to achieve their goals
Other Essential Duties:
- Work with Transition Advisor on Post-Secondary events
- Provide support to post-secondary students in liaison with the Transition Advisor
- Work with Employment Assistance Services partners to help clients achieve employment goals
- Undertake specific projects and activities as necessary or as required to support Vision Loss Rehabilitation services
- Provide reception related services and undertake office related duties
- Perform any other duties as required.
Documentation and Reporting
- Ensure client data is up to date and data is appropriately entered in accordance with Vision Loss Rehabilitation guidelines and DPETL requirements
- Provide reports and updates to Vision Loss Rehabilitation manager as requested
- Participate in Performance Development System
- Work to the scope and code of ethics of ACVREP for Low Vision Therapy and adaptive technology
- Participate in continued education process in particular ACVREP re certification
- Undertake mentorship and leadership activities with and for fellow practitioners as requested
Qualifications: (Education, Training, Experience):
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to listen effectively and communicate with people on many and varied levels
- Bilingual (English/French)
- Excellent written communication skills
- Coaching and training skills
- Strong planning and organizing skills
- Strong networking and relationship building skills
- Effective negotiation, advocacy and mediation skills
- Ability to problem solve effectively
Essential Experience and Education
- Certified in Low Vision Therapy or willing to train under the Vision Loss Rehabilitation Apprenticeship Program
- Relevant tertiary qualification
- Proficient in computer applications - Microsoft Office environment
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- Experience/ knowledge in the disability, health or teaching sector
- Experience / knowledge in working with adaptive technology or a willingness to train
- Background in either vocational support work, careers advice, human resources or training
- Services will be provided in Vision Loss Rehabilitation-New Brunswick Centers, individual homes and/or in the community.
- Able to work autonomously with minimum assistance in areas of proven competence.
- Able to work flexible hours to meet client needs when required.
- Able to travel, including overnight stays will be required.
Closing Date for Applications: August 5, 2019
Please Send the Application To: firstname.lastname@example.org and quote the job title in the subject line
Please send cover letter and resume, and mention how you learned of this position.
VLRC strives to establish and maintain an inclusive workplace and believes that the diversity of our workforce is an invaluable asset. VLRC is committed to following recruitment and selection practices based on merit, transparency, accessibility and inclusion ensuring that all candidates are given a fair opportunity for employment with VLRC.
To help ensure that this commitment is met, VLRC is committed to working with all candidates that require an accommodation. If you require an accommodation, please let us know what accommodation you require and VLRC will work with you to meet your needs at every stage of the recruitment and selection process.
Please note that the successful candidate will be required to pass a standard Criminal Record Check.
We thank all applicants for their interest in VLRC, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.