KY Office of Vocational Rehabilitation
02/13/2020Return to view all job openings
Education & Workforce Development Cab | Department of Workforce Investment
8412 Westport Rd
Louisville, KY 40242 USA
The Charles W. McDowell Rehabilitation Center seeking a certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist to join our team! The McDowell Center is committed to assisting individuals who are blind and visually impaired achieve their educational, vocational and independent living goals. Training opportunities at the center are designed to promote independence. The center provides day and residential services to eligible vocational rehabilitation consumers, and training in the areas of:
Braille instruction, orientation and mobility, assistive technology, career development, independent living and personal development.
Key Responsibilities for this position:
- Serves as a team leader in certified field of expertise, Orientation and Mobility (O&M), and is responsible for the direction, oversight, and meeting the training objectives of blind and visually impaired consumers and the rehabilitation program.
- Evaluates and develops specialized training plans and instructs blind and visually impaired consumers in services such as O&M, business travel, public transportation navigation, and other services that can lead to obtaining a successful employment outcome or independent living skills.
- Modifies, enhances, and fabricates rehabilitation technology devices to meet the individual needs for persons with significant disabilities.
- Provides consumer and employers with information on accessibility, reasonable accommodation, disability awareness and etiquette, and American Disabilities Act (ADA) information training.
- Interprets and explains state and federal rules and regulations and agency policy. Assists in writing guidelines, department materials, and policy.
- Maintains partnerships with private and public entities. Serves as a resource person for transportation engineers, the community, and other rehabilitation personnel. Serves on task forces and/or special teams.
Orientation and Mobility Specialist (O&M) http://acvrep.org or http://aerbvi.org
Please visit our job posting on the KY.gov personnel cabinet website: https://kypersonnelcabinet.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=14385&site=2