Visions Services for the Blind
06/24/2017Return to view all job openings
The Technology Specialist’s primary function is to serve as a resource for participants developing technological competence within a college setting and learning the most effective use of their iPad. The Technology Specialist will help load iPad gift cards, applications and troubleshoot any issues that arise. The Technology Specialist will lead small group sessions with participants to help them enhance their technology skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to participants experiencing complications with iPad hardware, software or applications.
- Instruct small group lessons on utilizing adaptive applications and features, surfing the web, accessing email, and generating documents
- Prepare lesson plans/outlines that are comprehensive, interactive, and fun
- As needed, provide task supervision to Program Assistants during technology-based activities
- Maintain notes about participant progress and challenges including changes in student’s visual, physical, cognitive and/or emotional functioning and report this information to the Director of Education.
- Work individually with participants who are experiencing difficulty using their iPads and completing assignments.
- Monitor the safety of the participants on and off campus, encourage participation and provide support during trips.
- Enforce program policies, rules, and procedures, please document any violations.
- Respond immediately to emergency situations, contact campus safety if needed, report any accidents/injuries/incidents and write an incident report when required.
- Treat everyone with appropriate dignity and respect and encourage respect, sensitivity and understanding for individuals and their differences
- Actively work to create an atmosphere in which participants understand the value of these community life requirements and accept responsibility for their own actions
- Advanced experience with adaptive technology for the blind and visually impaired on Apple IOS devices
- At least one year of experience in group technology instruction
- Desire and ability to work with teens who are blind or visually impaired
- Willingness to work in a residential setting with a varied schedule
- Ability to accept guidance and supervision
- Good character, integrity, adaptability, enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
- 25 years of age or older
VISIONS is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit rehabilitation and social service agency incorporated in 1926. VISIONS provides services for blind and visually impaired people of all ages and their families in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area.
VISIONS is an equal opportunity employer. VISIONS Employees should report any equipment malfunction, repair needs or any broken items immediately. At no time should there be any attempt to fix any item without written authorization and inclusion in the job description.