01/27/2020Return to view all job openings
SUMMARY: The League’s Orientation & Mobility Specialist will work to empower independence among the Blind and Visually Impaired ages 3 and up in Northeast Indiana. This position is responsible for equipping consumers with the tools and training they need to navigate their home, school, and community environments independently and safely. The O&M Specialist will provide white cane travel training to consumers of all ages in both indoor and outdoor settings, teaching them how to access public transportation and orient them in areas they desire and/or need. This position will travel throughout The League’s service territory (and occasionally outside of NE Indiana) as needed to meet the needs of the consumer.
Planning and Instruction
· Performs orientation and mobility evaluations for students, working age adults and seniors that focus on needs and strengths of the consumer for new referrals and at intervals as designated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and Vocational Rehabilitation clients.
· Plans and implement a program to teach formal orientation and mobility skills to consumers with visual impairments for whom they are appropriate
· Presents appropriate and specific information of student progress towards goals, including evaluative and progress data or IEP meetings (for students) and Eligibility Determination meetings.
· Provides consumers with visual impairments and their families information about alternative systems of independent travel
· Develops plans and schedules that meet the goals of each consumer
· Teaches techniques and utilization of appropriate low vision devices as necessary
· Teaches consumers skills to travel with proficiency, safety, and confidence in familiar and unfamiliar environments
· Responsible for the consumer’s safety during O&M instruction and in other environments while fostering maximum independence.
· Assess and provide O&M Training to Senior Citizens who require training to maintain independence in and around their home.
· Collaborates with school personnel and other service providers in coordinating services within the school or in their community
· Pre-eval and post-eval with consumers and communicate with them expectations as it relates to the consumer’s goals towards independence.
· Seeks a variety of services through community resources and agencies to meet the needs of the consumer with visual impairments
· Maintains timely and accurate records for consumers on the caseload
· Maintains a positive and effective relationship with supervisors and responds effectively to feedback
· Attends professional meetings, workshops, and/or classes to ensure continued growth and knowledge
· Conducts self in appropriate and ethical manner
· Maintains proper attendance and punctuality
Perks of working at The League:
· Competitive Salary
· Team oriented work environment and diverse work culture
· Annual performance-based incentives
· Paid professional continuing education opportunities
· Paid continuing education opportunities
· Health insurance (Only $1 per paycheck premium for health/dental/vision. Company also contributes up to $3,015 to out of pocket expenses!)
· Worker’s compensation insurance
· Agency paid life insurance
· Agency paid disability insurance
· Paid time-off including vacation time, sick time, personal days, and holidays
· Company contributed retirement account and additional retirement investment options
· Company cell phone
· Fort Wayne, Indiana - #1 in nation for lowest cost of living!
Job Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in the Job Description are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities re-quired. Reliable transportation is required.
Education/Experience: Master’s degree (M.A.) in Orientation and Mobility from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and experience that qualifies the incumbent for certification as an Orientation & Mobility Specialist.
More information available at www.the-league.org. Those considering applying for this position are encouraged to review the job description and League information located at this website. Resumes accepted until the position is filled.
Pay Rate: Negotiable. Sign-On: Some relocation assistance and certification/re-certification fee assistance may be considered for the right candidate.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to:
Director of Program and Services
The League 5821 S. Anthony Blvd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46816
The League is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to making reasonable accommodations needed by qualified individuals with disabling conditions that enable them to perform the essential functions of the position. People from racial/cultural minority groups and people with disabilities are always encouraged to apply.