NC Division of Services for the Blind
10/04/2019Return to view all job openings
This Low Vision Program Specialist position provides direct services to participants attending the DSB Career and Training Center based in Raleigh, NC as well as serves as a statewide trainer and consultant on low vision topics for Division staff and the wider community. Additional duties include assisting with developing and updating policies and procedures, serving as a liaison and assistant to the Consulting Low Vision Optometrist and maintaining low vision device inventory necessary to provide day to day on-site low vision services. Job responsibilities include:
- Assess individual's visual functioning and make recommendations for adaptations to assist with achieving their vocational, educational and independent living goals.
- Conduct assessments of visual acuities, contrast sensitivity, color perception, visual fields and other functional low vision concerns.
- Interview consumers to gather information on goals, functional concerns and techniques and devices currently used to utilize vision effectively.
- Assess for functional problems and teach techniques to maximize the use of vision.
- Assess for non-prescription low vision devices and provide detailed recommendations for purchase.
- Provide ongoing instruction where needed to assist individuals with utilizing recommended devices.
- Conduct statewide low vision trainings for Division staff. Educate new staff on medical eye conditions, functional problems, low vision devices and techniques as well as low vision policy and best practices. Create and implement low vision trainings statewide for specific professions within the Division as well as external customers on specific low vision topics.
- Write detailed, timely reports on low vision assessments to equip other professionals in developing appropriate goals and services relative to the individual's visual functioning.
- Prioritize consumer needs and coordinate the Low Vision Optometrist's schedule to best meet the needs of Division consumers
- Provide statewide consultation to Division staff, partners and members of the public on matters related to the field of low vision, low vision policy and best practices.
- Maintain an inventory of devices for demonstration in the Low Vision Clinic as well as devices for assignment to consumers
- Collaborate effectively with the Low Vision Optometrist, DSB Career and Training Center staff, the DSB leadership team and other agency partners utilizing the Low Vision Clinic.
To apply, follow this link: