The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc.
06/18/2021Return to view all job openings
Essential Job Functions:
- Teach skills of independent living, including navigation and basic cane skills to individuals who have low vision or are blind.
- Assess home environment and recommend approaches to enhance independence, such as marking appliances, independent diabetic management/medicine management, and other in-home skills
- Assess and provide training on adaptive communications skills, including introduction to accessibility techniques for smart phones/tablets
- Assess basic low vision needs for community members
- Provide training on devices to make best use of remaining vision as needed
- Provide presentations, education/consultation and technical assistance to community members and organizations as approved.
- Work cooperatively with coworkers
- Complete initial phone assessments and scheduling
- Attend staff, program and department meetings as scheduled
- Monitor and maintain stock of low vision and mobility related equipment for purchases and/or use.
- Participate and/or support ECS Department initiatives as needed (such as DeafBlind Retreat), and Lighthouse Strategic Plan initiatives
- Participate in development of program-wide goals and measurements
- Deliver services defined in grants and contracts
- Develop and maintain positive relationships in the O&M professional arena
- Maintain files, provide documentation, data collection, reports, and summaries as needed & required; including ILID and Apricot on a timely basis.
- Maintain certification(s)
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of low vision aids and devices
- Ability to problem solve effectively
- Ability to take initiative, function autonomously, and be dependable.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision
- Ability to produce high-quality written documents, including correspondence, reports, etc.
- Comprehensive knowledge of PC applications, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, browser, and database software.
- Professional demeanor
- Demonstrated excellent written and interpersonal communication skills
- Willingness to work as a team member
- Mature judgment and sensitivity in interpersonal relations and among diverse groups
- Ability to meet the background and education/experience levels required for ILP/DSB contracts required
- ACVREP certification required
- Three (3) + years of experience providing Orientation and Mobility training and instruction preferred
- Dual competency in Orientation & Mobility and Rehabilitation Teaching or CLVT strongly preferred
- Ability to work schedule as assigned.
- If a driver, must have a good driving record
- This job requires travel in the field to private residences and in the community on a daily basis
Equal Opportunity Employer, Male / Female / Persons with Disabilities / VEVRAA
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document forms upon hire.
For more information on the Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc
- ACVREP certification required