01/09/2019Return to view all job openings
• Participates in the diagnostic and IEP process for all students suspected of being visually impaired.
• Assessment of travel skills in varied settings.
• Assessment of level of functional decision as related to mobility and orientation to surroundings.
• Written documentation of performance for consideration by the IEP.
• Provide direct services to visually impaired students as recommended by IEP.
• Communicate regularly with other professional staff involved.
• Provide supportive services to parents of visually impaired students.
• Provide consultation to teachers having visually impaired students in their classrooms.
• Participate in annual review meetings on each student served.
• Assist in design of new goals and objectives for students.
• Prepare annual progress reports on each student.
• Provide specific skill training, such as white can usage, public transportation, independent shopping, information awareness, community resources, travel aids and other necessary life skills.
• Assess, develop and implement orientation and mobility instructional programs which would allow for increased independence in orientation and mobility. • Represent the district on various community agencies and professional organizations as appropriate to the assigned area.
• Ability to assist in physical management of students using CPI techniques, lifting and positioning of students.
• Excellent driving record.
• Valid Michigan driver’s license and appropriate level of automobile insurance.
• Ability to travel within the county or nearby areas.
• Ability to utilize district technology and maintain proficiency, as required skill sets change with technology and/or needs of district.
• Adhere to all policies and guidelines.
• Maintains regular, predictable attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
• MA in Orientation and Mobility required.
• Orientation and Mobility Certification (ACVREP; COMS).
• MDE Teacher Consultant for Visually Impaired approval preferred.
• Five years' experience with orientation and mobility of visually impaired students preferred.
• Experience with behavior disorders.
• Experience in supervision and/or direction of non-certified personnel required.