12/18/2018Return to view all job openings
The Lighthouse of Pinellas, a not-for-profit Agency serving the blind and visually impaired in Pinellas County, is seeking a part-time Teacher of the Visually Impaired or Teacher of the Visually Impaired/Orientation and Mobility Specialist for our Early Intervention Program. This position will provide specialized vision rehabilitation instruction for infants and young children, birth to six years of age in the Early Intervention Program. Instruction provided will include sensory development, pre-braille and braille skills, independent living skills, communication skills and access technology. Training is provided at the agency and itinerantly throughout Pinellas County.
· Provide vision component of Early Intervention Services to eligible infants and toddlers
· Work with children in areas of sensory development, pre-braille and braille skills, daily living skills, communication skills, and access technology including computers and iPads
· Perform required assessments including comprehensive developmental assessments and functional low vision assessments.
· Develop individual service plans and objectives to meet participant’s unique needs and goals
· Provide instruction at the agency, in the home and in the community both individually and in group settings.
· Attend meetings to discuss participant’s progress
· Communicate participant’s needs and progress with doctors, case managers, parents or guardians, school personnel and other individuals or organizations with a legitimate need to know with appropriate release by parents
· Provide parent and family counseling and training as necessary including Braille and technology skills
· Complete all reports as required by Agency and funding sources to document client progress, including evaluations, goals, daily and monthly progress, and discharge summaries
· Complete statistical information accordingly with DBS and Agency requirements
· Stay current with new developments in the field and recommend appropriate new developments to supervisor
· Attend required Agency meetings and trainings
· Support Agency’s fundraising efforts
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Visual Disabilities, preferably with specialization in early childhood education
Licensure or Certification:
· Certified Teacher of the Visually Impaired
· Experience and training (VIISA and INSITE) with infants and preschoolers
· Experience working with children who are blind and visually impaired
Demonstrated Knowledge and Skills:
· Working knowledge of services and resources available for children who are blind and visually impaired and their families
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Effective time management skills
· Ability to work as a team member
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
· Ability to use Internet for research
· Ability to lift and reposition a child weighing up to 50 pounds
· Ability to lift and carry up to 40 pounds
· Maintain required certification and/or licensure
· Employee is responsible for timely transportation to and from all community based instruction, training, education, and presentations
· If privately owned motor vehicle is utilized for employment-related travel, the driver must possess a valid Florida driver’s license, good driving record, and proof of the following level of motor vehicle insurance: $100,000/$300,000 bodily injury, $50,000 property damage and work purposes endorsement.
Position is open until filled and begins immediately.
Cert: Any Certification
· Letter of Interest
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: TVI, TVI/O&M
Lighthouse of Pinellas is an Equal Opportunity Employer