Louisiana Association for the Blind,LVRC
08/01/2018Return to view all job openings
Overview: The O&M Instructor works collaboratively with co-workers on the LVRC team and community partners to ensure clients of all ages receive comprehensive orientation and mobility training to help each individual achieve his or her goals for independence.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assess the abilities of visually impaired individuals to travel independently in their homes and communities and make recommendations to meet the training needs of the individual.
- Instruct clients how to move confidently, safely, and independently in any environment.
- Travel to schools throughout the service area to deliver O&M instruction to school age children.
- Complete reports and other documentation as called for and in a timely manner.
- Organize and implement group outings in collaboration with other LVRC instructors.
- Develop and revise curricula as needed to ensure O&M instruction remains relevant to contemporary living and working situations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Special Education Coordinators in the service area.
- Work with O&M interns to provide diverse experiences in the field.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated track record in a team-oriented environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel and Word).
- Strong communications, team-building, strategic, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in rehabilitation science, kinesiology, or related.
- Certification in O&M instruction COMS, or willingness to obtain