07/24/2018Return to view all job openings
Summary of Position: To provide orientation and safe independent travel skills at an appropriate level for visually impaired employees. To orient and train IOB staff to support employee’s orientation and mobility training.
· Valid COMS certification from ACVREP
· Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred in Orientation and Mobility
· Ability to instruct public transportation
· Working knowledge of orientation and travel skills for the adult population including adapted mobility devices and cane mobility.
· Ability to work well with all levels of professional, managerial and office staff
· Knowledge of Grade One Braille
· Ability to communicate effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
· Conduct Indoor/Outdoor evaluations and create concise reports.
· Provide appropriate individualized instruction to each employee based on their specific needs and abilities.
· Develop lesson plans and schedules that meet the goals of each employee.
· Make recommendations for training needed to meet individual goals.
· Provide blind/low vision sensitivity training to sighed employees and human guide training.
· Ability to teach techniques to utilize appropriate low vision devices necessary for orientation or travel.
· Advise employees on the impact of vision changes on safe travel.
· Create and teach tactile and google maps on phones.
· Establish open, frequent communication with all related service staff and professionals within the community.
· Establish and maintain a positive atmosphere with staff to encourage and provide support for employees in mobility training.
· Requires general knowledge of independent living skills and adaptive technology skills generally available to employees.
· Maintain accurate and confidential records on all evaluations and instruction provided.
· Serve as a member of the Safety Committee to ensure safe evacuation training and implementation.
· Order and facilitate the purchase of canes, mobility accessories and adaptive devices for blind employees.
· Participate in the interview process of potential new hires.
· Participate in the onboarding of new hires to provide orientation to the building and human guide & sensitivity training
· Perform these and other related duties as requested.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability