Braille Institute of America, Inc.
02/02/2024Return to view all job openings
Braille Institute is a non-profit organization whose mission is to positively transform the lives of those with vision loss. We offer a broad range of free programs, classes and services serving thousands of students of all ages helping to demonstrate that vision rehabilitation is a beginning, not an end.
We serve the community from seven centers, and hundreds of community outreach locations throughout Southern California, and lead popular national programs like the Braille Challenge and Cane Quest. Our staff and volunteers understand losing your vision can be scary, but we believe it is not the end of independence but a new way of living.
We currently are seeking an Access Technology Specialist at our Anaheim Center. This position is responsible for:
- Teaches in a group setting on the use of various Assistive Technology tools for individuals experiencing vision loss; screen readers, keyboard training, optical character recognition, magnification, and equipment needs.
- Conducts individual consultations to determine a student’s skill level and needs. Make recommendations for programing and equipment needs to support independence.
- Documents progress for students, preparing reports for management and others as requested.
- Develops lesson plans and curriculums for individual and group-based education.
- Conducts, but isn’t limited to, individual and group-based programming through onsite, virtual, and off-site at partner facilities.
- Prepares classrooms for students.
- Maintains and expands knowledge in the field.
- Performs other duties as assigned. As the organization continues to evolve, duties or tasks may change.
- Experience with problem-solving in how technology can support an individual’s needs.
- Ability to demonstrate Assistive Technology tools such as screen readers, optical character recognition, and magnifiers.
- Experience in an in-person, virtual, and offsite teaching environment.
- Familiarity with Windows, Mac OS X, iOS and Android platforms.
- Able to quickly pick up, and learn to navigate, educational courseware using Assistive Technology.
- Experience with developing lesson plans, and curriculums, for individual and group-based education.