Birmingham VA Health Care Systemhttps://
02/02/2024Return to view all job openings
The duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Possess professional knowledge of, and skill in applying concepts, principles, and practices of blind vision rehabilitation to include assessment, treatment follow up.
- Evaluates and assess needs, capabilities and limitations, goal setting and prescribing a treatment plan for individuals experiencing blindness/visual impairment caused by injury or disease.
- Works as part of a team coordinating care for blind and visually impaired veterans. Serves as team coordinator for one or more Veterans. Responsible for developing and coordinating the Veteran's interdisciplinary plan of care during rehabilitation training program.
- The Blind Rehabilitation Specialist develops a treatment plan to improve the quality of life for blind and visually impaired Veterans through the development of skills and capabilities needed for personal independence, emotional stability and the successful integration into community, family and environment.
- The Blind Rehabilitation Specialist studies visual and non-visual barriers and related processes that result in activity limitations, participation restrictions, loss of vocational and avocational opportunities, and psychological distress. In providing direct services, they use diagnostic and therapeutic techniques and instrumentation to identify and resolve or minimize these problems.
- The Blind Rehabilitation Specialist is responsible for using and maintaining technology (discipline specific) necessary to assist in the veteran's rehabilitation needs and processes such as electronic travel aids, computer assisted technology, speech output and input devices, large print devices and Braille devices. The Blind Rehabilitation Specialist determines the need for these devices based on type, nature and severity of the problem, and assessments, and instructs the Veteran in the proper use of the device along with its abilities and limitations.
- Maintains awareness of new technological developments in the field through research and education. Serves as a subject matter expert for other medical and allied health staff by providing counseling to healthcare providers and professionals on the nature of visual impairment and blind and vision rehabilitation.
- Serves as a mentor for clinical trainees within the specific disciplines.
- Provides training, education, and support to family members and/or significant others to education and counsel about the implications and difficulties of visual impairment.
Disciplines needed: Vision Rehabilitation Therapy, Low Vision, Computer Access Training
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 02/22/2024 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/12301353.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.