Helen Keller National Center
11/29/2023Return to view all job openings
Salary Range:$65,000.00 To 71,500.00 Annually
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide instruction in safe and efficient travel skills; specifically, indoor techniques including human guide, self-protection, and cane skills on campus to consumers. Lessons are given both day and evenings
- Evaluate progress of students and submits scheduled written reports (assessment, training and transition).
- Participate in weekly team meetings, community of practice (COP) meetings with O&M colleagues, student employment planning meetings, and full staff meetings.
- Keep abreast of and evaluate current O&M research, teaching methods and aids. If appropriate, recommend and implement these methods or aids into student programs and services.
- Share responsibility for the equipment and general appearance of the work area.
- Suggest need for appropriate material and equipment.
- When assigned provide in-service training for staff members and others regarding orientation and mobility training for DeafBlind individuals.
- Accompany and provide human guide and/or communication support for consumers and professional staff members when assigned. To accomplish this, it may be required to use personal vehicle on occasion.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Blind Rehabilitation with an emphasis in Orientation and Mobility required
An O&M Instructor must be able to perform the following physical demands of this position:
- Provide human guide assistance via elbow, forearm and/or shoulder to consumers and/or staff.
- Push wheelchairs on all surfaces (flat, up and down) and maintain control of the chair.
- Provide tactual ASL to consumers who require it during instruction and when needed.
- Remain mobile via foot for up to 1.5 hours during instruction and longer as needed.
- Be able to ambulate on all types of surfaces (flat, incline, decline, moving (escalators/elevators), and stairs).
- Be able to drive all HKNC vehicles to/from all destinations required for instruction and transportation runs (airport, community and medical).
- Be able to secure passengers within HKNC vehicles if/when needed especially wheelchair travelers within the accessible van.
*No-frills positions are those that receive an additional 10% premium on the hourly rate of pay, but do not participate in the Union Health Insurance Plan. Individuals seeking a No-frills position must show they have alternative insurance to be eligible.