Helen Keller National Center
11/29/2023Return to view all job openings
Salary Range:$70,000.00 To 75,000.00 Annually
Note: this position requires extensive travel through the San Diego and Los Angeles service areas. Meeting all job duties and responsibilities will require use of personal vehicle.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Ensures services provided to consumers are person-centered and meet the consumers’ needs:
a. Assesses each consumer’s training priorities respective of indoor mobility, outdoor mobility, independent travel and communication with the public.
b. Actively collaborates with consumers and team to design goals and training activities creating an individualized program where progress is evaluated through debriefing and further dialogue to identify further learning opportunities.
c. Communicates with all team members consumer’s training priorities and goals.
d. Ensures consumer’s involvement in decision making process with team throughout evaluation and training.
- Provides instruction in safe and efficient travel skills specifically, indoor techniques including human guide, self-protection, and cane skills to deaf-blind people. Lessons are given both day and evening using modified curriculum to address the needs of consumers who are deaf-blind.
- Evaluates progress of consumers and submits scheduled written reports.
- Participates in team meetings, community of practice (COP) meetings with O&M colleagues, consumer employment planning meetings and full staff meetings.
- Keeps abreast of and evaluates current O&M research, teaching methods and aids. If appropriate, recommends and implements these methods or aids into consumer programs and services.
- When assigned by the Community Services Program–San Diego/Los Angeles Coordinator, provides in-service training for staff members and others regarding Orientation & Mobility training for deaf-blind individuals.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree required in Blind Rehabilitation with an emphasis in Orientation and Mobility.
- Two years’ experience in teaching orientation and mobility preferred.
- Knowledge of Braille and sign language.
- Fluency in American Sign Language is preferred or candidate must become proficient within two years of employment.