11/13/2023Return to view all job openings
CSDB is accepting applications for TVI vacancies for the 2023-2024 school year.
Applications are accepted on an on-going basis for vacancies in all instructional areas, including but not limited to all core content areas:
Elementary Education; English/Language Arts; Science; Mathematics; Social Studies
BROAD SCOPE OF POSITION:
This position reports to the Principal, School for the Blind, and is responsible for providing standards-based instruction and support to K-12th grade learners who are visually impaired and who may have additional needs. Utilizes Colorado Academic Standards and benchmarks in establishing instructional goals; and provides assessments that monitor learner progress, in a safe and civil school environment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs work associated with standards-based instruction: prepares lesson plans, adapts instructional materials, develops input for and presents daily instructional/learning activities based upon the Individualized Education Program (IEP) and school reform tenets under the direction of the Principal, maintains a positive learning environment utilizing appropriate positive behavior support strategies, keeps learners on task and engaged.
- Demonstrates knowledge / skill in the development and use of accommodations for learners who are visually impaired, and further, in the areas of task analysis, assessment, progress monitoring, daily living skills, behavior management, organization / planning, curriculum development, current technology practices relative to learners who have vision loss, parent relations and teamwork.
- Utilizes technology to model, teach, and assist learners relative to instruction and activities.
- Demonstrates knowledge / skill in the areas of project and technology-based learning.
- Organizes the instructional environment for collaborative group work.
- Works in co-teaching teams with others.
- Works as part of an education / assessment team responsible for identifying, developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating individual objectives for assigned learners.
- Understands and supports learners' social-emotional development.
- Serves as an Advocate for assigned learners.
- Coordinates effectively with other service staff in facilitating instruction, supporting school reform efforts, strategic planning, and positively contributing to co-curricular activities.
- Positively serves as a team member in the School for the Blind, and of the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind (CSDB) as a whole; and participates in regular team and departmental meetings, school and instructional meetings as required.
- Provides parent consultation; participates in selected parent-focused activities, etc.
- Seeks opportunities for and participates in activities related to professional development and training/workshops as appropriate.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Education or closely related field from a regionally accredited college or university; specialization in Education for the Visually Impaired preferred
- Must hold or be eligible for appropriate educator licensure in the State of Colorado
- Must hold, be eligible for, or able to obtain within three (3) years from hire, appropriate educator licensure in the State of Colorado endorsed as a Special Education Specialist: Visually Impaired, or comparable endorsement
- Subject area endorsement or specialization
- Experience teaching / working with children (in an educational environment) with visual impairments and/or multiple disabilities desired
- Ability to demonstrate competency in Braille by the end of the first instructional year, as evidenced by possession of a CDE Certificate of Braille Competency