Helen Keller National Center
11/29/2023Return to view all job openings
Salary Range:$70,000.00 To 72,500.00 Annually
*Must be located in the state of Massachusetts.
Note: this position requires extensive travel through the State of Massachusetts and surrounding states. Meeting all job duties and responsibilities will require use of a valid driver’s license.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Ensures services provided to consumers are person-centered and meet the consumers’ needs:
- Assesses each consumer’s training priorities respective of indoor mobility, outdoor mobility, independent travel and communication with the public.
- Assesses each consumer’s training priorities respective of instrumental activities of daily living skills to promote accessible living in the community.
c. Actively collaborates with consumers and team to design short and long term goals and training activities to create an individualized program where progress is evaluated through debriefing and further dialogue to identify further learning opportunities.
- Provides instruction in safe and efficient travel skills specifically, indoor techniques including human guide, self-protection, and cane skills adapted for individuals with combined vision and hearing loss. This will include as needed night lessons and occasional weekend assignments to match consumer needs.
- Evaluates progress of consumers and submits case notes along with scheduled written reports.
- Keeps abreast of and evaluates current IL and O&M research, teaching methods and aids. This will include gathering information, investigating trends, preparing resource material for long-term consumer use, developing forms, participating in curriculum development.
- Provide information regarding Independent Living and Orientation & Mobility to professional and stakeholders. This can include in-service training, seminars and workshops (preparation and presentation) remote consultation, on-site professional training, and preparation of videos and other material.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master’s dEgree in Orientation and Mobility/Blind Rehabilitation, Special Education, Rehabilitative Services, Special Education, or related field.
ACVREP COMS certification.