Helen Keller National Center
09/12/2023Return to view all job openings
Since 1893, Helen Keller Services (HKS) has been committed to improving the lives of individuals who are blind, visually impaired or have combined hearing and vision loss. We currently have an exciting full time career opportunity available to join the HKS team as a Senior Instructor of Independent Living/Vision Rehab Therapist (VRT). The Senior Instructor/VRT is Responsible for the evaluation and provision of training in the skills of independent living with consumers to foster a more independent and productive life style in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plans lessons and provides skills training in the above areas based upon the findings of the evaluation, using specific methods and adaptations required to teach individuals who are DeafBlind
- Recommends, plans, and provides training on an individual basis on independent living skills.
- Records progress and submits individualized reports in a timely manner.
- Participates in conferences for discussion of information pertaining to consumer development, evaluation, training progress, termination and transition to place of residence. Cooperates in team effort to support the consumer to meet his/her individual goals.
- Documents consumer performance during evaluation and training sessions to monitor progress; identifies problems and constraints; develops strategies and remedies; and provides formal reports to funding sources.
- Works on activities related to Independent Living program development. This will include: gathering information, investigating trends, preparing resource material for long term consumer use, developing forms, participating in curriculum development.
- In the absence of the Independent Living Supervisor, the designated Senior Instructor acts as leader in order to assure smooth operation of the department, continuity of service and safety of consumer. This will include ensuring class coverage.
- Provides information and advice regarding Independent Living programs and/or work methods to appropriate persons.
- Provides assistance to consumers and professional staff members in out-of-department activities. This will include: out-of-department assignments, lounge duty, escort duty, town hall, consumer forums, fire drills. This also includes home visits and service to both local and out-of-town consumers who are DeafBlind.
- Accompanies and serves as a guide, provides visual and environmental information, and facilitates communication for consumers, professional staff members and visitors when assigned. To accomplish this,
it may be required to use personal vehicle on occasion.
- Performs/participates in activities that promote professional development: HKNC in-service training, workshops, conferences, visits to schools, agencies and professional reading.
- Participates in classes and workshops (some agency provided) to gain proficiency in sign language, braille, Haptics and other specialized areas that may be beneficial to at HKNC.
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Teaching with an emphasis in Vision Rehabilitation Therapy
- ACVREP certification
- Strong writing skill required for writing reports.
- Knowledge of MS Office and Internet required.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
Fully Paid Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits*
- $2,500 Sign on Bonus at the commencement of 3 months of employment
- Paid Vacation time, Paid Sick Time, Personal Days
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Short Term Disability/ Life Insurance
- 403b Program with Employer Match
- Tuition Assistance
- Voluntary Ancillary Benefits
- Career Advancement Opportunities
*No-frills positions are those that receive an additional 10% premium on the hourly rate of pay, but do not participate in the Union Health Insurance Plan. Individuals seeking a No-frills position must show they have alternative insurance to be eligible.