Helen Keller National Center
09/12/2023Return to view all job openings
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- The CLC Senior Instructor (virtual) includes meeting with program participants through remote means (Zoom, VideoPhone). The senior instructor should be skilled in using these platforms for meeting with participants and sharing documents and materials (Zoom screen share, Google classroom).
- Instructional techniques may include positioning the camera or using two devices to observe skills (ie: braille reading) or, sharing and reviewing videos (ie: community interactions).
- Common curriculum areas of virtual training may include braille reading as well as braille typing using a Perkins brailler or program such as Perky Duck. Basic sign language may also be taught virtually should the participant be able to visually access the screen. Interpreters or support staff may be used to provide “copy sign” tactually of the instructor.
- The CLC Senior Instructor (virtual) may demonstrate communication aids and devices and should feel comfortable describing and explaining materials.
- The CLC Senior Instructor (virtual) schedule may include evening or weekend hours to accommodate different time zones or participant schedule needs.
IN-Person Program Duties and Responsibilities may include the following:
Plan and Conduct Communication Learning Center (CLC) Assessments
- Understand and execute a formal case review of the consumer’s history including educational, rehabilitation and medical information that is available.
- Assess the consumer’s present level of functioning in each of the following areas related to CLC:
- Communication method including describing the consumer’s ability to communicate and any relevant adaptations (ie: adaptations for accessing sign language visually, strategies for communicating in a noisy environment).
- Communication strategies for community and work interactions (communication cards, note writing)
- Banking/Budgeting (methods of paying bills, money identification and organization, planning a budget, managing a bank account)
- Maintaining a file system for documents
- Academic skills, including reading comprehension, written English, and math.(using standardized and appropriate informal assessment activities)
- Sign language, including any adaptations for accessing sign language visually and tactile sign language.
- Haptic signals
- Systems for time management, including adapted time pieces, date books, calendars, smartphone applications.
- Based on the CLC assessment and consumer input, determine consumer’s CLC training needs and make recommendations for training objectives, aids/devices and additional services if needed.
- Present information at team meetings
- Prepare assessment and training reports
- Maintain accurate case notes
- Research CLC related teaching strategies and equipment/technology by attending appropriate webinars and workshops.
- Compile appropriate resource information for consumers and families associated with communication skills.
- Participate in departmental Community of Practice (COP) meetings by sharing information regarding departmental projects.
- Functional knowledge of Smartphone/tablet communication applications as well as braille transcription software (i.e.: Duxbury).
REQUIRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Masters Degree in Education (Vision Rehabilitation, Deaf Education, Teacher of the Visually Impaired, Special Education, Speech/Language Pathology)
- Certified Vision Rehabilitation Teacher (VRT) preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ related experience working with individuals who are deaf, blind, or DeafBlind.
- Paid Vacation time, Paid Sick Time, Paid Personal Days
- Paid Holidays
- Short Term Disability/ Life Insurance
- Voluntary Ancillary Benefits
- 403b Program with Employer Match
- Tuition Assistance Program
- Career Advancement Opportunities
*No-frills positions are those that receive an additional 10% premium on the hourly rate of pay, but do not participate in the Union Health Insurance Plan. Individuals seeking a No-frills position must show they have alternative insurance to be eligible.